NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Chasing the ISS

Bart

Anyone tried this? Great fun. Did it the first time last night and tonight. Can make out at least two distinct points of light. Very bright. Definite shape. Flashes across FOV but good fun. I can recommend it. Especially when clouds are not playing ball.

Also got a few Perseids last night and possibly one tonight, not sure about tonight's one. They are quite bright and one or two leave a slight trail, although that could be my imagination

Barry

Yep, I've managed to track it in the scope for a decent amount of time. Gets pretty awkward and fast overhead but before and after are quite doable. Got some decent magnification on it and saw a fair amount of detail. Good fun

Stu

Do you know, until very recently I did not even think of doing this!!! However last night I popped outside with a monocular (which is all I have to hand at work) and was quite disappointed to see cloud, lots of cloud. Was hoping for a bit of Perseids action as well....not to be last night...

Still will try again when I'm home, I've got an ISS tracker app and also Satellite Safari for my android device so do fancy doing a bit of artificial satellite spotting as well.

I tried viewing the ISS last night due to it West-East trajectory, positioning the scope at the top of the garden facing west. Unfortunately cloud started to roll-in, I got a few sightings through the scope but could not make anything out, maybe better luck on a clearer night another time.

Archived