Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Faint Milky Way over sea stacks at Duncansby.

They turned out great considering the sky wasn't fully dark. I didn't know about the viewing "platform" you used for the second photo, but then you won't find me that close to the cliff edge in the daytime, never mind at night. I got a couple of meteors in my shots (one really bright one) but the Milky way didn't come out nearly as good. Definitely a place to visit again.

Beautiful images Stewart, do you do any tracking for stars or is it all on a fixed tripod?

Mel

Just a fixed tripod Mel,less hassle and less stuff to carry :-)

They turned out great considering the sky wasn't fully dark. I didn't know about the viewing "platform" you used for the second photo, but then you won't find me that close to the cliff edge in the daytime, never mind at night. I got a couple of meteors in my shots (one really bright one) but the Milky way didn't come out nearly as good. Definitely a place to visit again.

Been there a few times in daylight so knew about the rock shelf.Its probably about 20 ft long by about 10 ft at its widest and theres a big grassy slope with a foot worn path leading down to it so its reasonably safe even in the dark.I was nowhere near the edge though.Not got the best head for heights either.

Another couple of cracking images :)

PS... you'll need to get onto the council in Wick to get them streetlights turned off :p

I'd prefer the whole of Caithness lightless.Dont mind a bit of glow on the horizon sometimes :-)

Archived