NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time viewing Saturn... a few problems

cstew

I'd been hoping to catch a glimpse of Saturn for quite some time, finally got my chance this evening, it's a nice target, very happy I finally got to see it.

Now the problems.... I NEED A BIGGER SCOPE AND A BETTER MOUNT!!!!! The 130mm just teases, it's cruel really, the max (decent) magnification I could get was 90x with the standard skywatcher 10mm EP but it just left me wanting 900x! And the mount, the EQ2 is about as stable as nitro glycerin in a blender, seemed like it wobbled if I breathed near it.

So in conclusion:

Saturn=Good

130mm reflector on EQ2 mount=Bad

I'm pumping all my money into photographic equipment at the moment, so a new scope is a pipe dream, but I've definitely caught the bug and a bigger scope will be mine... oh yes, it will be mine.

A Barlow will give you some more magnification, but the mount wobbles are a bit more of a problem.

Saturn will always appear quite small in the eyepiece on most scopes.

Try not extending the legs and adding some weight hanging from the tripod head to dampen wobbles.

Then...... start saving for a sturdier (more expensive) mount!

I have the 2x Barlow that came with the scope, with the 10mm eyepiece it gives me 180x, but it doesn't seem useable to me, there's a noticeable loss in quality. Maybe a quick fix might be some better quality eyepieces? And unfortunately I had to use the mount st its highest, to see over some trees!

I'd been hoping to catch a glimpse of Saturn for quite some time, finally got my chance this evening, it's a nice target, very happy I finally got to see it.

Now the problems.... I NEED A BIGGER SCOPE AND A BETTER MOUNT!!!!! The 130mm just teases, it's cruel really, the max (decent) magnification I could get was 90x with the standard skywatcher 10mm EP but it just left me wanting 900x! And the mount, the EQ2 is about as stable as nitro glycerin in a blender, seemed like it wobbled if I breathed near it.

So in conclusion:

Saturn=Good

130mm reflector on EQ2 mount=Bad

I'm pumping all my money into photographic equipment at the moment, so a new scope is a pipe dream, but I've definitely caught the bug and a bigger scope will be mine... oh yes, it will be mine.

Looking through a better eyepiece certainly helps, when I upgraded you quickly discover the stock 10mm is not that good an eyepiece.

I often get more out of viewing at say 130x times instead of barlowing and getting over 200x in my scope anyway, which is the same aperture as yours. Granted the barlow I have is not that high quality anyway, but since the planet is rather low in the sky and atmospheric conditions will not help, it is very tempting to think that 200x and up is the answer, and if the skies are up to it, it can be nice. I would not give up on 130mm aperture that easily for planets. 130x - 180x mag in such a scope IMHO gives excellent results. There is plenty fun and quality viewing to be had at that aperture on such a planet. :)

Perhaps give the skies and scope a little more chance and see planets under better skies too with a better eyepiece, because I found it does really vary how things look on any given night depending on conditions. It is becoming increasingly more tricky now with Saturn so low though.

In any case I don't think aperture is as important as it is for the fainter targets such as DSOs, where more aperture is the fever that strikes. I admit I've never looked through a bigger scope as yet, so not sure what I am missing, still, going by what I've read and the experience I've had thus far and what makes sense to me, and I have seen Saturn plenty of times by now.

Good quality eyepieces and a decent Barlow will help, but pushing the magnification too far will often just result in a larger, fuzzier image.

x50 for each inch of aperture is the max under ideal conditions, so x180 might be too much for current eyepiece / barlow.

Using the 10mm eyepiece and the barlow does indeed just result in a larger fuzzy image, I'm thinking I might try an 8mm eyepiece, which will give me 112x. Like with most hobbies in life, you start out with basic gear which works fine, but you always hunger for more!

There is always another piece of gear that you 'need'. lol.

Best to try and take it step by step, use what you have, then decide what would be best to get next.

Avoids wasteful impulse buys. Maybe set a sensible budget and try to stick to it.

But if money is no object, just go crazy!

If you're on a serious budget then mybe a motor for the mount would be good, that would get rid of the need to touch the set up.

Another would be looking around for a cheap EQ3-2 second hand.

There is always another piece of gear that you 'need'. lol.

Best to try and take it step by step, use what you have, then decide what would be best to get next.

Avoids wasteful impulse buys. Maybe set a sensible budget and try to stick to it.

But if money is no object, just go crazy!

Being fair, the middle ground is your 250p Dob in your sig. That's a scope for all stages.

The Dob is really nice and gives great views of Saturn... though not as large as you might think plus if you magnify too much it flies through the fov very quickly.

For more leisurely viewing and taking pics of SaturnI find that the 130PDS on the guided mount is much handier.

It's roundabouts and swings, bigger scopes give more magnification and gather more light, but like you say, things shoot through the FOV fast, they zoom through pretty quick at modest mags on the 130mm never mind on anything bigger!

to add if the seeing was poor whih it would of been this wouldnt help on any sope. a few months ago we had a week of unbelievable seeing conditions and i for one and i would of said quite a few others were viewing saturn at over 350x with un real detail

An RA motor and electric focuser would help, as its mainly the focusing that makes the mount shake like a 9.0 on the Richter scale. A better mount is definetly on the cards when I have some cash along with some decent eyepieces.

I could buy a dob for observing, which is what I do mostly anyway, as it always seems to be a spur of the moment thing getting my scope out anyway, the weather round here is just so changeable and then keep the 130 on the eq mount for messing with imaging.

Sounds like a plan. I know you're saving for other stuff, but a second-hand LB8" and a case of Plossl's for around £250 from eBay (other electronic auction sites are available) - bargain; I've seen SW's and Orions regularly too

I love the point & shoot aspect of a dob. The convenience of bins (if you don't have to move it too far) with the 'wow' of a 'scope, and if visuals are your thing - happy days...

Good luck

There was a 10" dob a while back on ebay that was quite close to me, ended up going for about £60 I think, it was a goto dob as well, just didn't have the money at the time. Good things come to those who wait, apparently, so we'll see what the future holds!

Oh, a 130mm Newtonian will show an amazing Saturn at 260x, IF the seeing is excelent. But having tried out my 130/650 and 125/900 on the Astro3 Mount (better then the eq2, weaker then the eq3-2) I can relate.

Build a dobsonian Rockerbox, it will cost 5€ and all you need are some boads, screws, pipe covers, laminate flooring scraps, and furniture gliders. Electric screw driver and saw are a plus.

For a 130/900, the 6mm UWA is a nice eyepice, cheap (30€), high magnification that's usable on average conditions, and eye relief and wide angle views (66deg afov) are so much better then the included 10mm eyepiece...

For higher magnifications, the HR Planetary eyepieces are great, still wide-angle-ish with 58deg afov, and still affordable at 45€.

They can even be used as zoom (using the " Astrozoom " that changes the lens barlow element's distance).

At the 130/650 the 2.5mm HR Planetary is great, and was on sale for €30, and slightly but noticably better then the 6mm UWA with the Seben achromatic barlow (17€). Though especially when Saturn is so close to the horizon, due to air turbulances, 260x makes no sense at the moment. I tried with 8, 6 and 3.2mm eyepieces last month, but even 200x was a bit much.

So, at 900mm focal length, a 9mm 6 degree eyepiece and achromatic barlow will cover common sky conditions, though a ~4mm HR Planetary will be amazing on those clear nights.

Though as the planets are no ideal target at the moment, a 20mm UWA or 24mm Erfle or 30/32mm Plössl are probably a better investment if deepsky is your thing, too.

Also, regarding the mount, make sure that all the nuts and bolts are tight if you haven't already.

I notice that you give your location as Lancashire/Yorkshire. You could take your scope up to The Astronomy Centre on a Saturday evening where Peter Drew and the team will be glad to give it the once over for you. Also, we have many scopes, including dobs form 6" to 30" (when the 30" refurb is complete) you can try out under night time conditions and see what scope you may wish to get in the future. There are also SCs up to 16" and refractors up to 8.9". TAC is situated on the Todmorden/Bacup road and if you google it there are detailed directions on the website. Regards, Paul

Admittedly the mount could do with a tune up, the control for the declination is jammed and I've tried my best to sort it, for the life in me I can't figure out how it works, it seems to be nothing pushing against nothing!

Good advice from Paulastro there. Most of the controls on an eq mount are Intuitive, but when people lack experience, it is normal

to be flummoxed. Peter, or any one else at the Astronomy Centre will be only too happy to give very good advice, and explanations as to how adjustments are carried out.

Your description about the stability of the EQ2 mount, is about as Apt as could be :smiley:.

Stability is a must with any mount, and a simple Alt Az. mount might serve you better. If you are good with your hands, and simple tools, you could probably make one yourself.

Wood is a great medium for a project like that, and vibrations don't transmit so easily.

You can hang a weight from the tripod spreader, which will help keep that a bit steadier.

Good Luck.

Ron.

Archived