SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher eyepiece offer

When I bought my skyliner I was told that I had a voucher to purchase a set of eyepieces and filters for the princely sum of £79 is this worth it? Or would I be better served investing this money elsewhere? My four months is up in September so I was gonna treat myself for my birthday and let the children buy the Barlow

I purchased this set several years ago after I got my first scope. The LERs may be a little better than those supplied with your scope but to be honest I have never really used them and although I have tried them I have never found a use for the colour filters. In fact the whole set lurks at the back of the cupboard and only sees daylight when I get them out wondering whether they are worth selling. The LED torch is the only bit I actually use. Personally I think you would be better spending the money on one or two better EPs - there are plenty of posts on this site which will advise on which give best value for money.

It's a shame, I don't suppose you were ever going to get anything terribly decent, but if there'd been the option of spending the whole £79 on just one EP, that might have been better to start with.

Happy trawling though! There's a fount of useful information here, especially in the eye piece discussion section.

Cheers

I have the LER (LET) set that you speak of, and they are quite good ep's and under-rated in my opinion and sell individually about £29.99 new. They are good for the price and I would also add that they are excellent for daytime use. If this is the limit of your budgat then you could do a lot worse. They are also the only ep's I have ever fpund that are truly parfocal, which is why they are good for daytime use. But don't get me wrong, they are also good on star clusters (20mm) and doubles (5mm). The 2mm is virtually unuseable by the way. The filters are just the red (#21) and the blue (#80A) and the Moon filter (just a 'grey') is useless junk. The Lumicon colour filters are much better and surprisingly cheap for a good quality brand. No, to be safe I would go for individual ep's such as the BST Explorers/StarGuiders, at 60 degree AFoV they are virtually unbeatable unless you pay a lot more.

The BST starguiders have just gone up in price, but only

by £2. 00. they are £49.00 now, but still great value for

money, I recieved the 5mm today I saved £2.00 ordering

before August, I will put it towards my next BST.

Many people starting out buy an EP kit of one kind or another. Ive been there and done that. You end up selling,giving away for free or just not using most of the stuff that comes in the kit. But to be fair................in the beginning they are useful and really teach you about what suits you and what you prefer.

Hind sight/better understanding for most of us who have bought such kits has taught us that it is better to buy individual eyepieces as and when you want/need.

As mentioned above, the BSTs are much loved by many and a good price. There are also Vixen NPLs to consider.

And the Maxvisions if you're after a bargain.

Cheers

They look and sound nice, but not exactly cheap. It depends on your budget though. I certainly wouldnt be spending that much on EPs. My most expensive EP is a second hand Vixen NLV which i paid £70 for. I also have a 4mm Celestron Omni which i bought new in Ireland for about £70 (exchange rates considered).

Archived