Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mesu 200 with sitech ii controller

ncjunk

Ok progress I think.

I received the controller from Dan Grey at Lunch time.

I have done a test by slewing the mount and checking my dec encoder in relation with my dec motor and I beleive that everything is now within the manufacturers allowances regarding error.

Attached are four screen shots of my encoder and motor positions in relation to each other when pointing at the Zenith, South in dec only,West and a meridian flip to the East.

post-19057-0-03035400-1402674253_thumb.j

post-19057-0-56301000-1402674276_thumb.j

post-19057-0-80751400-1402674309_thumb.j

post-19057-0-14037300-1402674336_thumb.j

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the power side getting a UPS installed will protect you from power spikes and the odd dip. I've got lucky so far but here in spain the supply us very bad some days.

With the ground of the power supply and controller it is good if you can make sure that they are connected to the same earth or ground circuit. I've worked on 2 panels where someone had forgotton to connect the ground wire on the second panel to the first. What happens in that case is you get a floating ground basically I got a 180v, but low current, shock off the second panel whilst leaning on the first.

Heres a link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ground

So for the ground wire I'm not 100% sure on the 12v side as its through a transformer.

Definately get a UPS though that will give you some piece or mind.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but I never regard 5M cables as carryng a guarantee. I suck them and see. Outside astrophography the concesus seems to be 'aye.' Within the community you'll find more doubt. So far they have worked for me but you are right to question this.

Olly

Most of my problems come from usb cables and the usb hub. You'll just have to try and see but I have only one 5 m cable and I paid a lot for it, not been a problem.

I've had strange things on usb 1. Lines showing up on image due to too many devices on hub. 2. Cheap hub causing intermittant failures.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

This is the copy of my email sent to Lucas this evening.

"

I Rolled my shed off the scope and made a makeshift tarpaulin over my scope to protect it from the drizzle.
This afternoon I loosened the grub screw and pulled the ra encoder off the shaft. I then re-installed making sure that encoder was well seated on to the shaft and that the grub screw was as tight as possible.
I have now no errors and I have spent 30 minutes slewing all over the sky and both the Dec and Ra encoders were beautifully matched with their respective motors.
I am 90% sure all of my woes have been resolved.
   I think that this is an issue that could repeat itself easily especially with overseas shipping.
I had to modify an allen key to gain access to the Ra encoder grub screw without dismantling the mount. Lucas I think that it would be a good idea to supply the mount with a shortened allen key to make this adjustment easier.
I also think that a small leaflet or maintenance manual that explains what to do in the event of this happening. Checking and tightening the encoders should be made accessible for all.
  As the Mesu mount attracts many ex Eq6 owners who are not used to this type of mount with encoders I think that some effort needs to be made to make the transition as painless as possible by providing simple walk through instructions. Not everyone is as patient as me, although I nearly lost it,lol.
Once I have finished doing my sky model and started taking pictures I will then take the time to try and write a walkthrough manual that could be useful to future owners of the mount.
I hope that I haven't been too much of a pain.
I can't thank you guys enough for the patience and help.
Have a Beer on me

Ciao"

This looks like good news. A coherent Quick Start manual would be an excellent idea.

Simon, I hope you are now part of the wonderful world of the Mesu, in which you can forget about guiding difficulties and tracking issues and just get on with taking pictures. That's how it has been for me from the start and I'm sure it will be that way for you too. 

Olly

I hope so Olly.

I am beginning to have confidence that will be the case.

I am preparing for a scripted Point XP run with plate solve this evening weather permitting.

Then I can get on and take some photographs.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct procedure to start a Scripted point Xp5 Run.

Please tell me if I have left anything out.

Regards,

Simon

SCRIPTED POINT XP5 FOR WINDOWS 7 AND MAXIM DL

Config Preperation

1.    Place database file(APM) in c:\program files\Sitech\APM

2.    Make sure Horizon file is loaded.

3.    In Telescope Info Tab enter: Lat/Long,Scope Focal Length.

4.    In Mount Info Tab enter: Mount type,If Gem enter auto flip GOTO,check the “use ActiveX Point XP”

5.    In Miscellaneous Tab enter:

.  Nutat,Aberrate and refraction ON

.  Select camera control software

.   Enter camera x and y Pixels un-binned

.   Enter width and height of each pixel in microns

.   Click on calculate field of view window

6.    In Ascom and troubleshooting enter: Slew setting time 10 sec/ok

Scope Prepration

1.     Initialize telescope.

2.    In scope window right click pointxp0Callpoints button and clear all PXP Calibration point.

3.    Manually perform at least one cal star init(2 or 3 seperated in alt(dec) and az(RA) Two should be separated in Ra as much as possible and the 3rd in Dec.

4.    For GEM mount use one star near meridian on the equator and the secons star 30° above equator.

5.    Make sure that ccd camera is in focus.

Scripted Point XP5 Run

1.    Call up Features/Run Script window in Sitech and set the following parameters:

.  Select how many cal stars to image(select at least 16

.  Set exposure time in seconds

.  Set binning Mode

2.    Click on “Make PointXP Run” to build script

3.    Click “PLAY” to start run

Hi Simon,

I'm back in 'Old Blighty' now after an eventful flight that included an emergency landing in Marseilles!

A couple of notes:-

Config. Preparation

1. The placement of the APM config file may be O/S dependent - mine is in a different location but I am using Windows XP in my observatory.

4. I don't select Active X PointXP - but there's no good reason for my selection that I can recall!!

5. I only have Refraction set to 'ON'.

6. I have slew settling time set at Zero (0)

Scope Preparation

3. I use 3 manual CalStar Inits

Scripted PointXP Run

1. I ran 36 points last time - magic to watch it doing its thing!! :grin:

You should be good to go ...........

What? WOTT??? Eek. What do I do if I get stuck with my new Avalon???? No Steve? Pass me a G and T...
Olly

Olly, after my enforced stop-off in France, I was tempted to call in and sort out all your technical issues and show you how to use a mouse but they wouldn't let me off the plane - I had a bottle of Hierbas and a Cointreau with me too .... :grin: :grin:

I am glad that you are safe and sound.

I  selected  Active X PointXP in order to get the new PointXP5 software come up that is supposed to be more accurate.

For the Mesu where in the sky do you place your 3 calstars?

Is that 36 included your 3 calstars?

When drift aligning do you put the encoder to Ignore mode? and only do an "Offset init"?

Thanks

Simon

I  selected  Active X PointXP in order to get the new PointXP5 software come up that is supposed to be more accurate.

I'm not currently using that version.

For the Mesu where in the sky do you place your 3 calstars?

For the first two I use one low in SE and one low in SW at similar altitude and for the third, I choose a star at about mid-point but high in southern sky.

Is that 36 included your 3 calstars?

No, in addition to the 3 manual CalStar Inits.

When drift aligning do you put the encoder to Ignore mode? and only do an "Offset init"?

'Yes' on both counts.

Thanks for your patience Steve.

Regarding the first two Cal Stars I was lead to believe that the first 2 had to be on the same side of the meridian with a GEM mount.

My Horizon is very high about 40-45° alt, I will just chose the two lowest stars on either horizon.

Rgds

Simon

Regarding the first two Cal Stars I was lead to believe that the first 2 had to be on the same side of the meridian with a GEM mount.

I'll have to check that out, Simon, I was sure that I used one on either side of the Meridian but I can see the value of using two on the same side too! However, the modelling run itself uses points on both sides (in fact a full 360 degrees) so I'm not convinced either way!

I am seriously confused here. Are you guys saying that the final model is affected by the order and position of the chosen points? Mathematically, when each point is entered into a mount model, the whole model is recalculated and the net result should be exactly the same no matter which order the points are entered in or in which part of the sky they are.

It also shouldn't matter whether the software in question plate solves all points in one batch or does it on the fly while exposing. I have tried both methods and there is no benefit to any specific method - at least not with the stuff I use, and I do all my imaging unguided with modeled mounts.

The final model will contain information as to what errors are present in the rig. It should, at a minimum, contain rotational parameters (Alt, elevation, tilt) that will yield polar and orthogonality, and also gravitational parameters that yield predictable flexure. This is standard stuff as indicated by more or less every paper written on the subject.

Enlighten me! ;)

/per

Mathematically, when each point is entered into a mount model, the whole model is recalculated and the net result should be exactly the same no matter which order the points are entered in or in which part of the sky they are.

Nothing to enlighten really, as having reflected on it overnight, I agree that it shouldn't make any difference what order the model is built in - it is only for convenience that this one builds its automated model in a nice circle to allow the correct positioning of the aperture in the dome roof! It is for this reason that I have always been happy to carry out my three manual points as described above.

My take on the logic for having the first three stars in some sort of order was to allow better accuracy for putting the first stars in the center of your ccd chip.

I am a typical consumer and not technician, I follow the instructions by the dot for being afraid that something drastic will go wrong,lol

Hmm... If you do a rough polar alignment with a green laser and then start you modeling nothing should be outside of the chip. Besides, if it is it will still plate solve and give you the correct coordinates. When I model and have done a sloppy rough polar alignment I can be a few degrees off and the thing still solves, which in turn makes the model.

/per

I gave up on polar alignment software as soon as I had 4 or 5 manual drift alignments under my belt.

By the time you mess around with the software you would already have done a more accurate drift alignment.

I am hoping for a clear night this evening, Clear enough at least to see all of the stars needed for the scripted PointXp5 run.

Archived