Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mesu 200 with sitech ii controller

ncjunk

When I did my last polar alignment I didnt use the routine for recentering I instead looked at the RA error and DEC error. These show values in your normal 00:20:30 Format showing how far out it is.

I then adjust, clear all the cal points, do another init followed by cal pount, following the polar alignment instructions and then check what it says on the RA error and DEC error again. If you moved it correctly it should be closer.

So 2 star cal with the stars 30deg apart at least and slightly above the meridian on a similar dec value.

Check error and adjust.

Reset cal points.

Do another 2 star.

Check error.

Olly, mechanical engineers can only push buttons anything with more than two colours and they become srartled and unresponsive!

The software functionality is fine the problem is too many tabs and buttons. This is a standard software problem too much functionality and clutter.

Why so many cal buttons? Simplify the damn thing. Why is polar align in different display to PA error? All those numbers are great but I dont need them, I'm sure they're very usefull for a new build mount setup but of no interest to me.

I'd reorganise the display and hide non essential stuff.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Mechanical engineers can use files, drills, hammers, saws, levers, flames, explosives and can be bribed to place them underneath the software engineers whose products drive us into misery and dementia...  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: 

Yesss.....

Olly

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regard to the Alt/Dec encoder error

I got this e-mail back from Dan Grey at Sitech.

"

That means that the scope encoder does not agree with the motor encoder by 10 deg's.

First thing go to the SiTechExe, Config tab, then Change Config, then under the encoder tab, select the IGNORE for that axis.

Your scope will work, but there will be no encoder feedback.

Next we must figure out the trouble.  In SiTechExe, click on the "Features" tab, then "Controller Stuff".  Watch the motor angle, and the scope encoder angle.  See when they differ, maybe it's not working at all (maybe a bad connection), or maybe it's programmed backwards (must use ServoConfig to correct that), or maybe the mount is slipping.

Once you have the problem corrected, then you can put the encoder mode back to where it was (probably the polite mode)"

Next we must figure out the trouble.  In SiTechExe, click on the "Features" tab, then "Controller Stuff".  Watch the motor angle, and the scope encoder angle.  See when they differ, maybe it's not working at all (maybe a bad connection),

Great advice here - as I've never had a problem with the Mesu, I've never had to delve into this lot but this is a very useful set of data to scrutinise  and help narrow down the problem.

I'm thinking 'cabling' at the moment but the 'programmed backwards' comment needs to be checked against real life data. As for 'or maybe the mount is slipping', this would be a first but certainly possible. Have you very accurately balanced the RA and Dec? The mount is not at all balance sensitive but if it is way out, you could get slippage and that would, of course, lead to a disparity between the motor and shaft encoders.

Thank you again for the support and especially Steve at 04:00 this morning.

My pleasure - we'll get there and you won't want to return to that EQ6 I promise you.

The Sitech controller is probably a work of art, but being a general product that has to fit any and all mount combinations, it is bound to be very technical in its configuration. When a mount is a complete "system" with all bits integrated by the same company, said problems are already handled and the technical details adjusted and of no consequence nor interest to the end user. I think that the Sitech people should come up with a version of the firmware and software where everything is hidden from the user and instead taken care of by the mount manufacturer. In Mesu's case, this would entail tailoring all parameters and delivering a version of the software that is non-technical and user friendly, the possible configuration option being a checkbox with the text "I have encoders in my mount", nothing else.

Apparently (from reading manuals) the same technical, user hostile behavior is present in the Gemini G-53 friction mount controller. The manual for the mount gives you a hint as to what gear ratio to configure into the software before using it... Woah!

/per

My exams are now done and so I'm finally going to have some time to start getting to know mine a bit better, weather permitting!

The Mesu does come with the mount parameters already programmed into the Sitech controller, so that's good :smile:  I've now found the 'Cue cards' at the end of the manual which gives a quick walk through/checklist for common processes like initialisations, drift align.  They look really useful - should be at the start rather than the end of the manual!!

Helen

I found the "Cue Card" too the other day and are almost all you need to know without reading the other 200 pages.

I printed the cue cards and will use these as my reference.

Before anyone gets me wrong here I want to make it clear that I found the mount itsself to be a work of excellence and I love just looking at it.

The problem I am sure is either me overseeing something silly when tired at 2 oclock in the morning or just a basic configuration issue.

I have  complete trust in Lucas and he tested the mount software prior to shipment.

I just need more consistent time with no clouds to get to grips with it.

A lot of this testing could be done during the day, of course! OK, you have only a rough idea of where the mount is pointing - but, trust me, accuracy of pointing will nor be an issue once this is resolved - but you will be able to test for the error message and watch the data from the 'scope stuff' view. The stars are still there during the day so your planetarium software will still function!

The skies here are not cooperating but my last session was fruitful .

A pointer which has been said many times before but must be emphasized again is:

Make sure that when you slew your mount onto a celestial object before loading your Offset Ini that you make sure that the weight bar is on the correct side of the Meridian.

The Sitech software can point at an object well past the Meridian and so therefore if the first object is reasonably close to your Meridian it is easy for the weight bar to be on the incorrect side.

And when you sync your Offset Ini make sure that the correct "gem scope is looking west or East" is selected.

If this is not correct it will cause all sorts of frustrations thereafter. :grin:

I am reading up the routine using Point XP 5 (enabled by going to Config\change config\mount parm\click "use active x point xp")and Plate Solve 2 to get an automatic calibration of my sky with my horizon.

The manual says that images smaller than  ̴ 75 square arcminutes may not encompass sufficient stars.

I am thinking of using my ASI120 camera to do this and in the Field of view calculator I am getting a FOV of 16.5' x 12.38'. How do I convert that to Square arcminutes?

Being unfamiliar with the mount...look east, west- but think I have a handle on that now. Polar alignment - I want to use alignmaster but need to be close first....so am going to just follow the steps Neil posted and go from there.

Did you resolve the encoder issue?

If so you can unscrew you polarscope from the Neq6 and then unscrew the reticle eyepiece from your skywatcher finderscope and then slide in the hole of the finderscope your Neq6 polar scope. Centre polaris with a reticle eyepiece in your main scope by adjusting the mesu manually and then centre Polaris in your finder\polarscope.

You then download a free polar align software http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

Put in you lat and long in the software and you will then get an image of where polaris should be in your finder|\polarscope.

Now adjust the mesu manually to get polaris in the correct position in your finder\ polar scope.

This will make things much quicker thereafter.

Cheers, saw that on the mesu forum but I'd sold the neq6. Was wondering if I can use a rdf and a similar technique as I'm not sure how close it has to be first for the sitech pa routine to work?

I am reading up the routine using Point XP 5 (enabled by going to Config\change config\mount parm\click "use active x point xp")and Plate Solve 2 to get an automatic calibration of my sky with my horizon.

The manual says that images smaller than  ̴ 75 square arcminutes may not encompass sufficient stars.

I am thinking of using my ASI120 camera to do this and in the Field of view calculator I am getting a FOV of 16.5' x 12.38'. How do I convert that to Square arcminutes?

Archived