NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some expensive glass...

ollypenrice

A TEC field flattener for our TEC140 Triplet Apo. This will allow us to run the full frame Atik CCD cameras in the scope. If chips get bigger that won't faze the flattener, which covers medium format film, it says. 750 dollars plus customs. Barking!

TEC%20FLATTENER-M.jpg

And then a little disc of thin glass, silvery looking, and precisely 50mm in diameter. 925 dollars plus customs. Barking... with rabies!!!! An Astrodon 3 nanometer Ha filter. I have Sara to thank for this, since she has proved conclusively that the Astrodon gives a more contrasty and detailed result than can be had in a 7 nanometer filter.

At least the TEC flattener has the decency to be big!

Ah well...

Olly

Very nice!....is that a cloudy sky in France?

No, no! It's just, er, that I'm having the sky steam cleaned prior to next week's astronomy. I like to start each Monday with it spotless, you see. Honest!

No, they're giving thunder for late this afternoon so I guess it's justing ready for the spectacle. The rest of the week looks great. This is good because a rather nice telescope should be arriving today for a week.

I hope to have more to say on this, shortly.

Olly

No, no! It's just, er, that I'm having the sky steam cleaned prior to next week's astronomy. I like to start each Monday with it spotless, you see. Honest!

No, they're giving thunder for late this afternoon so I guess it's justing ready for the spectacle. The rest of the week looks great. This is good because a rather nice telescope should be arriving today for a week.

I hope to have more to say on this, shortly.

Olly

lol, ooh we wait with interest! Got 100m viz here in Lanark....

Sorry Olly for encouraging you to spend your euro's!!! That flattener looks massive!!! And an interesting scope as well? .............. Mmm, exciting times ahead!!

Yes, the TEC is a nice scope to use. We're waiting for a custom adapter, though.

Olly

Ok.. now to really set you thinking.

Back in SGL7.. during the day I calculated that you should be able to differentiate between Ha emissions from jets from M82 for example by using 3 and 7 nm Ha filters.

You know you want to.. :D

Ok.. now to really set you thinking.

Back in SGL7.. during the day I calculated that you should be able to differentiate between Ha emissions from jets from M82 for example by using 3 and 7 nm Ha filters.

You know you want to.. :D

I do now!!!

Olly

Can everyone please stop talking about 3nm Astrodon Ha filters in every thread I open, I look at the title, think it's safe and then 4/5 posts in someone drops the " 3nm A" bomb!!! :)

You lot are going to bankrupt me :D

Can everyone please stop talking about 3nm Astrodon Ha filters in every thread I open, I look at the title, think it's safe and then 4/5 posts in someone drops the " 3nm A" bomb!!! :)

You lot are going to bankrupt me :D

I'll have to have a word with my optical coating guru and see how difficult the 3nm notch filter is to make? Given that a coating run costs about £400 you can coat a lot filters in one go. I'd like to do a run of 52mm camera lens sized filters in narrow band.

For what it's worth the Astrodon is useless at the moment! It just produces nonsense. OK in the middle but streaks off axis. Could it be back to front? There is no way of telling from the documentation I received or by looking at it. Hmmm... I don't want to wreck the run by taking it out tonight but tomorrow it will face the Inquisition!!!

A friend received an Astrodon that was all blotches and marks, replaced without issue.

Olly

Oh, this is a nice idea but I despair of this industry. I want a clear Yes/No on the question, 'Will this reducer work with a TEC140 and do you sell the adapters and spacers to fit?' I KNOW that the answer to the second part, at least, will be No!!

If I'm forking out a fortune I want to know that it will work. The TEC flattener works. Yuri Petrunin has not made, and so far as I understand does not intend to make, a reducer for the TEC 140. When a friend asked him face to face if he intended to make one he said, 'No. Go and buy a different telescope!' So that tells me that reducing the TEC140 might not be dead easy...

Oh well, it is a delightful instrument and I will put up with F7. I have some targets in mind and I don't expect to be too disappointed...

Olly

Archived