Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To EQMOD or not, or what else?

Hi,

I bought the HitecAstro EQDIR adapter from FLO to use on my HEQ5 Pro, has anyone actually got this working with Windows 8? I have installed the driver from the link provided from FLO here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

When trying to connect via EQASCOM Toolbox it can't find the port. I can find which port it uses via the device manager but here there's an exclamation mark on it and it says

'This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified.'

Has anyone got it to work with Windows 8 or seen this error before?

cheers,

Matt

Right then.

I connect the lead. Switch on the mount. Start CdC. EQASCOM doesn`t start so I start it from laptop start menu. There is green for connected.

The mounts motors are running now.

I can select an object and the cursor goes to it in CdC but the mount does not react.

There was an extra window titled telescope simulator. I clicked that off and then at the bottom of CdC screen it now shows telescope not connected.

Probably something simple but bit of a mystery.

Thanks for the superbly SIMPLE explanation, Daddystu. There is so much written on EQMOD it can be extremely confusing to the uninitiated. I have been on the verge of thinking I need to get the PRO version of the EQ6 mount, so that I can be using it while I was fumbling around working out how to get EQMOD to operate, but your explanation has restored my faith in it not requiring a PhD in 'telescope mounts' to achieve - great I can save £100 by getting the syntrek. Now, where did I put that credit card?

Thanks again.

I can select an object and the cursor goes to it in CdC but the mount does not react.

With EQMOD up and running and shown as connected to the scope, launch CdC and click on the telescope icon, then in the next window click on connect so that the red bar turns green and shows it as connected. Click on hide to remove the window. Now having selected your object in CdC and found it, right click on the target, select telescope and slew. The scope should then move to the position for that object.

It`s working! :icon_compress:

Thanks again to you all for your help and patience.

I found that I had not selected the EQ5/EQ6 option, it was still set on simulator.

BIG TIP:- If you try to move the mount without the OTA in place, but the counter weights are still on it, the mount will not like it! I suddenly realised what I had done by the not good sound from the gears.

Obviously it was totally out of balance. I took the weights off and tried it again and it was fine so I don`t think it was damaged,

So that was my first `emergency stop` using EQMOD I guess.

Next step I reckon, is to drive it with the OTA in place and a clear night.

It`s a hot clear night tonight so I fired up the mount and laptop. I went straight for Arcturus and got some pretty weird pointing, so I re parked in EQMOD and de-clutched to return to home position. Slewed to Arcturus and it was almost pointing at it :laugh: It is now that I realise that having a game pad to move the scope is highly desirable. ( I`ll look into that a bit later)

In CdC I did sync and went for a star in the plough, that was a bit off so I re synced and went almost overhead to Vega, it was in the finder. I did a sync, and aimed at M15, now it was in the eyepiece but a bit to the side. Re sync and aimed for M31, this time it was centered nicely in the eyepiece.

This is so good, I should have got round to it years ago! I just need to get more familiar with CdC, which I can do when it is cloudy.

You'll soon wonder why you ever used the handset :) EQmod is a fantastic tool - have a look at the tutorials on you tube, especially the polar alignment utlility, really handy if you have to set up every clear night

It`s a hot clear night tonight so I fired up the mount and laptop. I went straight for Arcturus and got some pretty weird pointing, so I re parked in EQMOD and de-clutched to return to home position. Slewed to Arcturus and it was almost pointing at it :laugh: It is now that I realise that having a game pad to move the scope is highly desirable. ( I`ll look into that a bit later)

In CdC I did sync and went for a star in the plough, that was a bit off so I re synced and went almost overhead to Vega, it was in the finder. I did a sync, and aimed at M15, now it was in the eyepiece but a bit to the side. Re sync and aimed for M31, this time it was centered nicely in the eyepiece.

This is so good, I should have got round to it years ago! I just need to get more familiar with CdC, which I can do when it is cloudy.

Yes its a great mount and software combination. I'm glad you're up and running. Since i've started using EQMod with my HEQ5 I dont think i've ever had a goto out of the FOV. Admittedly on my ED80. The big bonus comes when you've a permanent set-up. A tiny adjustment in the polar alignment on consecutive nights maybe all thats required. Go-to alignment is saved so I can get imaging within 10 minutes :)

EQMOD is absolutely amazing. I too had my doubts initially but being now fully set up, I can't believe that I liked my handset so much.

A wifi gamepad has greatly improved my mount experience by the by. I think, pretty much, any will do. I didn't spend more than 15£ or so.

CdC was difficult to setup somehow. I went the Stellarium scope, stellarium, synscan in "pc direct mode" route.

Works fine.

For those looking for another way to control with ease, may I also suggest the 'Skysafari Pro' on an iPad or other tablet, connected by wifi (wireless).

Easy setup, less wires and is really great to use.

Just another option :grin:

what! :eek: I've got an ipad as well. I've only just got started with the laptop and now there's another option!

Remarkably the skies have been reasonably clear down this way so I have had a few goes with the set up. I have watched the you tube tutorials for doing sync, but I am finding that it is strangely off target sometimes. Scope is mounted on solid pier, started from park, polar alignment is good, EQMOD cleared of old alignment data. Did 3 star alignment to get nice big triangle of coverage, went to M15 and that was fine, went to go to Vega and it was a few degrees off! Went to another star and it was centered. Re synced on to Vega, then selected M57, again it was not on target. Scratching my head at the moment as to what is amiss.

Could be several things.

Polar alignment not 100% spot on

Cone error, assuming that the scope may do a flip between targets

Backlash in the gear train (belt drive removes this to a point, but it will still be there - PE correction could help)

Try syncing multiple stars around the object you want (M57?) and then see if the targeting accuracy is improved - make sure the option in the multi-point sync window is set to save on exit so you don't lose any previous sync data

• 5 years later...

wow, resurrecting a 6 year old post !! :)

Under your EQMOD folder you should have a gamepad monitor application - you could see if that's detecting the gampad

Can you run the EQASCOM toolbox from the EQMOD/EQASCOM folder and configure the gampad

16 minutes ago, malc-c said:

wow, resurrecting a 6 year old post !! :)

Under your EQMOD folder you should have a gamepad monitor application - you could see if that's detecting the gampad

Can you run the EQASCOM toolbox from the EQMOD/EQASCOM folder and configure the gampad

Hi Malcom thanks for the reply. Yes 6 years is a long time no one else has had a problem since then.

Could you clarify where I can find the "EQmod folder"?

If I open the EQmod toolbox I get this:-

image.png.5d615deb4271a17efd476d8e40117f7b.png

Should I change some of the numbers?

Regards Ken

You have to open the EQMOD folder to locate the EQASCOM folder from the start menu, which contains the toolbox app, so you must have found it.. For reference C:\Program Files (x86)\EQMOD

With the mount powered up if you click on the ASCOM CONNECT button of the toolbox application it should launch EQMOD and connect to the scope.  If you then click on the spanner, can you see and configure your gamepad ?