Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

manon 10x50 binoculars

leader of the starry skys

ive just picked up a pair of manon 10x50 binocs coated optics deluxe lens seriel no 282130, does anybody know anything about these ,ive looked them up all I can find is that they are vintage Japanese binocs,they are yellow coated ( can anyone tell me what yellow coated is good for or is it just anti glare ) . I picked them up for £5 in a charity shop, ( is that a bargain or just going rate for these binocs ..) would love someone who knows anything about this model if they could tell me a bit about them

hi thanks for that Philip the one photo on there is the same one as mine deluxe lens, even though the first chap who put the post on resold them ,im chuffed as I was looking out for a pair of binocs, my old pair of carl zeiss - jena 8x30 from the 70s are a bit bashed up , there was another pair of 10x50s in the shop they was really light I looked through them they felt and looked cheap, then saw the case what I thought was for them , but case looked old so I went back just to check then found the manon in there , apart from a bit of paint rubbed of from binocs and the lens caps missing from eyepieces very happy cant see nothing wrong with these

hi thanks for that Philip the one photo on there is the same one as mine deluxe lens, even though the first chap who put the post on resold them ,im chuffed as I was looking out for a pair of binocs, my old pair of carl zeiss - jena 8x30 from the 70s are a bit bashed up , there was another pair of 10x50s in the shop they was really light I looked through them they felt and looked cheap, then saw the case what I thought was for them , but case looked old so I went back just to check then found the manon in there , apart from a bit of paint rubbed of from binocs and the lens caps missing from eyepieces very happy cant see nothing wrong with these

I am glad that you got to read the CN link.

I don't know whether you can obtain any missing eyepiece & lens caps for them to make them complete, but Astroboot is always a good source for astro 'odds & ends'. What ever you do, don't be tempted to touch-up the rubbed off paint work. Leaving them "as is" will only add to their character.

On a slightly different note, (about twenty years ago), I found a WW1 sighting telescope. (approx: 30mm objective) (made by W Watson & Sons Ltd. dated 1916), wrapped in a plastic carrier bag and wrapped in newspaper disposed public refuse bin. I pulled it out, took it home cleaned the objective lens and eyepiece lens with a distilled water and isopropynal mix, added a very short squirt of WD40 to the helical focus and drop of WD40 on a cotton bud to the thread and a thin smear of Vaseline on the retracting part of the dew shield assembly and left it at that.

About four years ago a BBC local radio station had an 'antiques phone-in' and it was valued at about GBP70.00-85.00 and was told not to have it resprayed and/or touched-up or even attempt to polish the brass mounting rings as it would loose value. I even took it to a free valuation auctioneer/valuer in Henley-on-Thames and told the same. By the way the radio antique expert and auctioneer/valuer were not employed by the same company.

hi Philip funny thing was that only a couple of days ago I went through our paint box full of airfix paints and acrylic and oil paints and found a couple of tins and pondered for a bit wether to or not to touch them up , but decided against it, we have an auction house down the road from us and I often see binocs sometimes you can get things real cheap depending on whos at the auction I might keep an eye out from now on

Archived