My “new“ dob

Here is my new 14 inch darkstar dob.

Both alt and az have smooth motions..

Lots of ideas ...paint job...some push bolts for the mirror cell and maybe some felt / rubber pads for cell...needs a weight system for balancing etc etc...

I am going to have some fun with this.

Mark

vuzuzu5u.jpg

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Update..

I now realise that I have jumped not only in mirror size but also focal length from my 10 inch..Up from 1200mm to 1778mm...and the impact...all my eyepieces now give a higher magnification. My longest FL eyepiece is the 24mm max vision which now gives 74x up from 50x but more importantly I used to then jump straight to 8mm when galaxy hunting in the 10 inch which gave a power of 150x which is highish but the 8mm now gives x222! No wonder the stars seemed to indicate bad seeing!

So I now need a 12mm...and I guess a Radian is called for!

Today I undercoated the dob base and I have to keep waiting for the paint to dry which makes me appreciate the saying "waiting for paint to dry"..

I have also added some flocking using sticky back felt and added a finder shoe...

So far so good.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived