Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Com port not found in eqmod???

bri

Need help please! I would like to run my mount through my laptop using eqmod because I've just bought the kit to go guiding with phd. I connect everything by usb and power up, apt and canon works, phd and lifecam works but with regards to the mount, I keep getting a 'com port error, com port not found' message in eqmod. How do I make it recognise a port? I'm using win7, ascom 6, neq6 with hi-tec astro usb. It worked when I first tested the mount out a while back, now I want to use it properly but don't know what else to do as I had a wasted night trying to figure it out but didn't get anywhere. Anybody out there had similar issues that can help me? Have I provided enough info? I want to get guiding at last! :)

when i had these problems it was a driver issue, went back to windows XP and its was fine with updated driver. I have since changed mount

so cannot help you, there may be updated drivers???

Velvet

EQMOD itseems, is limited in the COM port it can see. It can only see up to 16. You will need to clear out some of your existing COM ports, some of which are probably allocated to services no longer used. I had the similar difficulties and had to do this on a couple of my PCs.

There has recently been a thread on clearing COM ports on Win7 (Microsoft of course have made it harder to do!!) Clearing old com ports on windows 7

in Discussions - Software

This is the only software that I have come across with such a COM port limitation. Does anyone have a really good reason as to why this is?

Good luck

David

This is the only software that I have come across with such a COM port limitation. Does anyone have a really good reason as to why this is?

Yes, from the EQMOD perspective there is a really good reason for this. The limitaion is imposed by a microsoft dll/activex that EQMOD uses to access the COM port.

Could a different method be used, yes with some effort but then again folks can always change the com port assignments and this is something anyone using windows serial devices should make themselves familiar with anyhow.

Chris.

I have followed the steps, but when I click on driver setup in toolbox, I get a pop-up message saying 'runtime-error 429. activX component cant create object'. I have no clue how to fix this, anyone know whats wrong?

I have followed the steps, but when I click on driver setup in toolbox, I get a pop-up message saying 'runtime-error 429. activX component cant create object'. I have no clue how to fix this, anyone know whats wrong?

You could try running the ascom diagnostics although you may get the same error there. Uninstalling and re-installing EQAscom may be your best bet. Its possible that you've either a registry error or you've disabled a critical service but a fresh install would be my first action.

I've reinstalled ascom but still get the same message. I feel liked I've messed something up. Originally, only had 1 port occupied in the dev manager (port 3) then got 'click happy' and uninstalled it. That's all I did. I'm obviously not knowledgeable on this subject so I hope somebody can give a step by step to fix it? Com ports do not show up at all in the device manager now.

I've reinstalled ascom but still get the same message. I feel liked I've messed something up. Originally, only had 1 port occupied in the dev manager (port 3) then got 'click happy' and uninstalled it. That's all I did. I'm obviously not knowledgeable on this subject so I hope somebody can give a step by step to fix it? Com ports do not show up at all in the device manager now.

My com ports do not show either unless i've the cable plugged in and (I believe) the mount powered on. I regularly uninstall things in device manager usually USB hubs but there is always a prompt to reinstall after restarting the PC.

Ok. Another thing is I'm not getting a chime when I connect in the usb slot like it usually does with every other usb device that gets plugged in. Is this normal?

Ok. Another thing is I'm not getting a chime when I connect in the usb slot like it usually does with every other usb device that gets plugged in. Is this normal?

Yes unless the mount is powered on and the other end is plugged into the handbox I dont think you would get a chime. Maybe even not then as its USB-serial and not plain usb (probably).

Thanks daddystu. Thought it might have been a dodgy cable. One day I might sort this! :) Its frustrating that all the learning you do and the fun of playing around with precision instruments for this great hobby, all comes to a stop because of something non astro that I know zip about! Oh well, I will keep searching. Thanks again.

Easy fix if it can't find the com's port.

I had the same problem a day ago.

When you plug in the USB lead you get the chime, this says it has been detected by the PC.

If you still get the com's port error

Put the cursor over the toolbar that shows the USB is plugged in, click on it and under properties it should say what com port it is set up to.

put eqmod to the same port number.

That should fix it.

Like i said I had the same error message and after doing this it worked....good luck

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

I had similar back along & had to buy a new cable. I was using it through a hub that was giving me issues. It eventually burnt out the cable (you could smell it had got hot). A new cable sorted it. I now only plug straight into the laptop.

Archived