Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

152mm, f12.5, Maksutov Cassegrain

This is my 152mm f12.5 Maksutov Cassegrain . I had been interested in trying a Mak after reading the various positive comments about the Maksutov Cassegrain design and thought one might make a good travel scope. I had started looking for a used 150/180mm when my sky@night mag arrived and they had carried out a small Mak test with this model coming out top. With a very reasonable price tag of £300 I decided to order one and try it out. I placed the order on line and the following Monday was contacted by Astronomica to confirm the sale and inform me the scope would be delivered on Tue/Wed. On Wednesday afternoon there was no sign of my new Mak so I phoned to see if all was well. The sales chap said they were waiting for the scope to arrive with them after it had been used for the Magazine review and would be sent on to me as soon as they received it. I did suggest jokingly that as this scope was second-hand I might get a discount but this didn’t go down to well :rolleyes: . The scope duly arrived on Friday, the packaging had obviously been opened and resealed several times, with the box being quite battered, but the scope emerged unscathed. It’s shown here mounted on a converted Meade LX6 fork mount with home made dew shield and Telrad finder.

post-30467-0-18288400-1374065109_thumb.j

post-30467-0-47491300-1374065146_thumb.j

Nice looking scope Laurie, sure you will have a lot of fun with that. I think you let them off lightly - if a supposedly new scope had turned up in a tatty box I would have expected a discount, as its clearly not new!! Anyway, as long as you are happy with it that's the main thing.

Jules, I will probably give the mak a go on my giro now it is on the EQ6 tripod, but I can imagine finding things will be a real challenge! It's hard enough with Goto!!

It was sold as an Astronomica Mak although there is no name on the tube. The company was based in the north of England when I bought this scope but it looks as though they no longer sell them. It has been sold under the Astrozap brand name elsewhere.

http://www.astronomica.co.uk/about-astronomica

This also appears to be the same scope. http://www.egypt-telescope.net/telescope3-3.html

Archived