Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Delos,Ethos or Nagler?

jetstream

So I'm going to buy one more eyepiece in the near future,in the 12-14mm range,for a 10" Dob.The Ethos is a pile of money,but there is a used one available.I'm mainly interested in DSO for the Dob & any advice on which TV to get would be great.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry,

I am just doing some work at the moment on a head to head to head between the 14mm Delos, 14mm XW and the 13mm Ethos. A site member asked me to put the Ethos in the mix as he knew I had one. I have done a few hours with them all so far but have not finished. I will be writing up a report in the next two weeks I should think.

You having a Dob, you would gain greatly from the extra FOV, which I have to say is much larger than the 28 degree suggests. The eyepiece is razor sharp anywhere in the 100 degree FOV, has superb contrast and handles any subject almost as well as the the others and some even a bit bettter. The light transmission is excellent, I could see two of the moons of Saturn with it before I could see them with the XW 14mm, but that could have just been the slight extra power and hense darker sky. Secondhand the 13mm is not going to be a massive amount more

Yes they are a lot of money, many think the 13mm is the best of them all but they are maybe the best ultra wide eyepiece that money can buy. The Nikon is said to be a fraction better but try to get one.

Guees which one I would buy, I also have a 12mm Nagler which i know well, it's a great eyepiece but for me not as good as the Ethos, If I had a rope around my neck and was asked to pick the best, well you will have to wait.

Alan

Alan I will wait for the test results,this information and evaluation is absolutley waiting for and I thank you for taking the considerable time putting these tests together.Looking at other avid DSO astronomers on this site there are some commonalities between them,and the Ethos13mm is one.Can hardly wait to hear...!

Gerry,

I will try to put some deep space objects in to help you, Scorpious is up at a reasonable time now and this is testing enough for my latitude, though very testing from anywhere in the UK. It maybe better from where you live though it is one Country I have sadly not been to.

I will see if I can put the 12mm Nagler in just for you and PM you results i find.

I do tend to try and cover as much as I can without being labeled boring, so I use a few scopes and do at least 12 hours with them, though I don't have a Dobsonian (yet). The one downside of living here is i am up every morning at 5.30, so 11.15 is a late night for me.

The eyepiece Mark has just suggested would be a good one to. John rates the 20mm highly and that's good enough for me.

Alan.

The 13mm Ethos has 2" barrel, but the bottom glass element is held in a 1.25" barrel. You can use it in either size focuser, but I always use mine in a 2" focuser but with 1.25" filters - kinda seems best of both worlds?!

In terms of the eyepiece itself, simply brilliant. I use it in a 10" dob and it is the main DSO hunter (especially galaxies). The huge FoV is immersive and I find frames most objects nicely. I do not think you would be disappointed with the views. If you have a fast scope you may need the parracor to get the best performance and eliminate coma (I do not have one).

Expensive yes, but I do not ever see me selling it or wishing to upgrade it! The only downside is Ethos addiction.. I already have 3 but want the 21mm too...

TV lists the field stop at 22.7mm, so there'd be no reason for it to be 2"

I have the 17 which is excellent and I'm waiting on Alan to stop herding chickens and pull an all-nighter before deciding on the 13 :eek:

Rickstar I understand where you are coming from, I always double check mine are seated correctly out of paranoia!

The bottom glass element is 1.25", and is threaded hence you can use 1.25" filters. This is true for all Ethos apart from the 21mm which is 2" all the way.

One other thing, you may need a focus extension to reach focus, my OOUK VX needs a 2" extension tube for all the Ethos I have.

In short, I attach the Ethos using 2", but I use 1.25" filters.

Well it is a lot of money,I mean I can buy a new Delos or Nagler cheaper,but the TFOV appeals to me.In this particular instance the item is 1600km away,with no buyer protection what so ever.The protection layers on EBAY is why I like it,works as long as you follow the rules.I am going to wait,check out my shipping options(cash on delivery) or something.I need to see this thing first or send the money later.I mean why would I trust the seller for me to send money first.....they can trust me to go C.O.D. or payment after inspection....and I am honest.Thanks for the input that the pricing is reasonable.I will offer $400.00 however,if payment terms can be agreed upon.Caveat Emptor

Just on the fitting issue, I have the 6mm, 8mm and 13mm Ethos and they are all 1.25" / 2" fittings but I always used them in 2" mode for security. I have 28mm Baader fine tuning rings on mine as I use 2" filters with them - the Baader FT rings are a lot less expensive than Tele Vue barrel extensions but just as good.

I also have the Explore Scientific 20mm 100 degree eyepiece and, despite being a die hard Tele Vue fan, I'm very impressed with it - really very "Ethos-like" to my eyes and it cost me over £300 less than a 21mm Ethos.

Your dob is F/4.7 so you really need to think about coma correction with these hyper-wide eyepieces if your are going to get the best from them :wink:

Even at 500 I think I would go for it. Yes it' is a lot of money but it is a lot of eyepiece. I would take account of Johns point on Coma, he knows these things and it is something that none of my scopes have so it is a new thing to me if I even get a fast scope. No eyepiece will correct this that is on the market today, there once was a coma correcting eyepiece some years back.

There is no doubt about it the 13mm Ethos is one outstanding eyepiece.

Alan.

TV lists the field stop at 22.7mm, so there'd be no reason for it to be 2"

I have the 17 which is excellent and I'm waiting on Alan to stop herding chickens and pull an all-nighter before deciding on the 13 :eek:

I thought the ES 100 14mm had a field stop of around 24mm and yet that is a 2". I'm not sure about the ES 100 9mm, that might be as well. Why the difference? These are clearly not just clones.

I thought the ES 100 14mm had a field stop of around 24mm and yet that is a 2". I'm not sure about the ES 100 9mm, that might be as well. Why the difference? These are clearly not just clones.

Good point, I think they just went for 2" barrels for security, as looking at the specs the shorter FL ES100s are heavier than the adjacent Ethos (9mm ES100 is 100g heavier than 10mm Ethos, 14mm ES100 is 246g heavier than 13mm Ethos) and both ranges are on the large side :eek: Maybe there's something more complicated about it, beyond my simplistic understanding of it :embarassed:

The 13 Ethos is a wonderful eyepiece. I spent a fair amount of time studying the moon this evening (it gives me 180x in my 9.25 SCT) and even the hungry mosquitos couldn't spoil the enjoyable views. I highly recommend it.

Rick

Archived