NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet another finder scope question...

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a better option for a finder scope?

• 9x50
    • 10x60
    • 14x80

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume those should be:

- 9x50,

- 10x60

- 14x80

The latter is closest to my 14x70 which I love, but the FOV (3.92 deg) might be a bit narrow for some (mine is better at 4.46 deg). 10x60 gives you quite a bit more light for only a slight reduction of FOV with respect to the 9x50 (5.5 deg vs 6.1 deg). You could get the 80mm and invest a little in an Antares 25mm 70deg, insert a cross-hair and turn it into a 13.2x80 with a handsome 4.73 deg FOV.

Of those, I'd pick the 10x50, it will have a wider field of view than the 14x50.

Not a lot to choose between 9 or 10 x.

Regards, Ed.

Edit - if the choice is actually as in post #2, then I'd say 9x50 for a smaller scope, one of the others for a big Dobbo.

I assume those should be:

- 9x50,

- 10x60

- 14x80

The latter is closest to my 14x70 which I love, but the FOV (3.92 deg) might be a bit narrow for some (mine is better at 4.46 deg). 10x60 gives you quite a bit more light for only a slight reduction of FOV with respect to the 9x50 (5.5 deg vs 6.1 deg). You could get the 80mm and invest a little in an Antares 25mm 70deg, insert a cross-hair and turn it into a 13.2x80 with a handsome 4.73 deg FOV.

Oops...what a silly mistake...yes, you're right. Could you help me amend the poll bits please?

Of those, I'd pick the 10x50, it will have a wider field of view than the 14x50.

Not a lot to choose between 9 or 10 x.

Regards, Ed.

Edit - if the choice is actually as in post #2, then I'd say 9x50 for a smaller scope, one of the others for a big Dobbo.

Yes, I'm leaning towards the 10x60 one...

If you are going to use a Telrad as well, to get into the general area, and the RACI to home in on the object, the 14x80 is the better choice, I would say. My 70mm finder in its 16x incarnation only had 3.44 deg FOV and that did sterling work for me, often bagging me 30 new objects in a night, so the 3.92 deg of the 14x80 should be OK.

it depends largely on balance I think. the 9x50s are very light and perfectly usable. in e.g. a dob it's better to save weight where possible and that's one way. if not worried about weight then the 10x60 might be better as it's almost a mini rich field scope in its own right.

If you are going to use a Telrad as well, to get into the general area, and the RACI to home in on the object, the 14x80 is the better choice, I would say. My 70mm finder in its 16x incarnation only had 3.44 deg FOV and that did sterling work for me, often bagging me 30 new objects in a night, so the 3.92 deg of the 14x80 should be OK.

According to TS, it's 4-degree (8x moons across). My main worry with the 14x80 is the extra weight. I'll be using it mainly on the C11 and TS Individual 152/900 - both weigh at least 12 Kg - and the C11 now with the Losmandy dovetail, focuser, clamps and handle is at least 14Kg... Add to that the a 2" diagonal and a big eyepiece. :)

I did have to add an extra counterweight, which was OK, because I already had that as a result of this mammoth finder scope experiment:

Why did I try this?

Because I could :D

Gosh, when was this photo taken? Looks vintage

Don't get the 10x60, it gets a bad review from Sky at Night mag! The bracket is rubbish the 9x50 is an excellent finderscope, but if want to use it as guidescope, you can covert it to a finder guider, but you might as well get the bigger finderscopes, Ideally I wouldn't go for any of the other TS ones they are overly priced, so I would recomend getting the mighty Skywatcher ST80 as a guidescope, they are much cheaper and ideal scope for guiding especially of it's compact size! Suffers abit on false colour but image quality is not important if you're using the ST80 for guiding purposes!

Don't get the 10x60, it gets a bad review from Sky at Night mag! The bracket is rubbish the 9x50 is an excellent finderscope, but if want to use it as guidescope, you can covert it to a finder guider, but you might as well get the bigger finderscopes, Ideally I wouldn't go for any of the other TS ones they are overly priced, so I would recomend getting the mighty Skywatcher ST80 as a guidescope, they are much cheaper and ideal scope for guiding especially of it's compact size! Suffers abit on false colour but image quality is not important if you're using the ST80 for guiding purposes!

Are you sure that is not the Baader Vario-Finder (10x60)? That does get a bad press, but I am not sure this is the same. I think my bracket (sourced elsewhere) is essentially the same as the 14x80 bracket. It is OK, but you do need to check alignment after set-up. The ST 80 is fine as a guide scope, but for finder duties the focal length is a touch long (3.9 deg max. FOV in 1.25" EPs, and you really do not want a 2" amici prism in your finder, if price or weight are issues), and it is very heavy compared to these finders. I am not sure the TS ones are overpriced, I have not found cheaper ones elsewhere.

Are you sure that is not the Baader Vario-Finder (10x60)? That does get a bad press, but I am not sure this is the same. I think my bracket (sourced elsewhere) is essentially the same as the 14x80 bracket. It is OK, but you do need to check alignment after set-up. The ST 80 is fine as a guide scope, but for finder duties the focal length is a touch long (3.9 deg max. FOV in 1.25" EPs, and you really do not want a 2" amici prism in your finder, if price or weight are issues), and it is very heavy compared to these finders. I am not sure the TS ones are overpriced, I have not found cheaper ones elsewhere.

I have to agree. I looked around and can't find anything cheaper for similar quality. I own a TS frac and some accessories, I totally believe in the quality of their equipment. Couldn't be happier, this is why I don't see buying a finder scope from them a questionable issue.

ST80?? I've just sold mine and would never use it as a finder... too big, too heavy and too awkward as a finder scope. Brilliant as a guide scope though :)

OK, I contacted Astronomia and they confirmed that they have just received new stock of the Altair Astro 10x60 finderscope - lucky me :). Even with the separate bracket shoe it comes £20 cheaper than the Teleskop Service version - well, except for the colour, they're pretty much the same finderscope. So order placed....

When I'm doing deep sky or wide field I stick an 80ED on my C925. With the 42mm LVW It gives x14 and 5.14°...! I don't need cross hairs, I can see where the middle is ;)

A bit heavy and expensive for a finder though ;)

When I'm doing deep sky or wide field I stick an 80ED on my C925. With the 42mm LVW It gives x14 and 5.14°...! I don't need cross hairs, I can see where the middle is ;)

A bit heavy and expensive for a finder though ;)

I know... it's like singing ''little money, riding on a pig, little monkey" :D

I did have to add an extra counterweight, which was OK, because I already had that as a result of this mammoth finder scope experiment:

Why did I try this?

Because I could :D

I am not a 100% sure which bit is the actual scope :eek: is it that Malt whisky you mentioned in another post that triggers that kind of experiment :D

According to TS, it's 4-degree (8x moons across). My main worry with the 14x80 is the extra weight. I'll be using it mainly on the C11 and TS Individual 152/900 - both weigh at least 12 Kg - and the C11 now with the Losmandy dovetail, focuser, clamps and handle is at least 14Kg... Add to that the a 2" diagonal and a big eyepiece. :)

Gonna need a bigger mount ;)

Archived