NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ordered my CPC 800

Have just committed myself and ordered a CPC 800. I'm really excited and a little apprehensive after seeing a lot of differing opinions on this scope but since I'm not into photography, the alt azimuth mount isn't a big deal for me.

As for its size, the scope was bigger in the flesh than any pictures of it convey but I had the "Its huuuuge and I'm having it" newbie moment which may be a future problem as I'm not the young vigorous 20 something idiot I once was, plus I intend to be using it at a couple of dark locations I know of, one of which is a little off the beaten track but I don't mind multiple journeys.

My questions are these,

Outside of dew protection, what would anyone consider as vital, essential or at the very least desirable in terms of modifying / upgrades?

As a beginner, did I make the right choice of scope or should I have started with something less huge?

Please....please...... tell me I did good :icon_bounce:

I have a CPC800 as well and one advantage is that the mount uses a lot less power than the Stepper based EQ Skywatchers...

It will run happily form a pack to 10 AA NiMH rechargables (you need 10 as they are 1.2V per Cell) I use 2700mAH cells...

Of course if your going to run dew heaters or a 12 hair drier then you will need a larger capacity power source like a 17AH power tank...

A dew shield will help keep the corrector clear ...

Peter...

I have the CPC 1100 and that is even bigger but still fairly easy to move and set up so I'm sure the 800 will be a great scope for you. I had the same reservations as you prior to my purchase but I have to say I've been very happy with it since I got it. It's well built and the optics are excellent. The goto is also spot on and has never let me down.

As far as upgrades are concerned, I'm about to get a 2" WO quartz diagonal and a 36mm Baader aspheric eyepiece to open up the FOV as much as possible as this is somewhat restricted in the stock eyepiece and diagonal. Fine for planets but I prefer something a bit wider for DSO's. I'm also going to get an Astrozap heated dew shield as I've read they perform well with the larger SCTs. Like you I'm more visual at the moment but in the long term I plan on getting myself a decent camera and a hyperstar or faststar system which allow DSO imaging even on the alt/az mount. Finally I also plan adding a red dot finder over the summer at some point.

All in all the CPC range has been an excellent investment. You won't be dissapointed.

James

Hi

Great scope choice. It will seem "big" when you get it out the box but give it a few weeks and it will become much smaller.

Just follow the instructions and leave it outside for 20mins of so (in the daytime) when you get it so the GPS can reset for UK (scope thinks it is in the US when you turn it on)

- you need to go into the setting and set the time zone to "universal"

Having done this, then when you are outside for the first time (at night) it will set the GPS instantly and not leave you waiting...

I added a baader steeltrack focuser to mine so I could have fine focuser and it allowed me to connect a 2inch diagonal (for wider FOV) as mentioned above.

Alan

I've had mine for a month now... I have mobility issues (major bad back) and manage moving it ok - albeit in 2 different parts! Getting easier each time I do it too!

The scope is amazing - you'll love it! I have major LP from my back garden and it performs brilliantly even under those conditions! I've still not had it out to a dark sky site (and probably won't until September) but can't wait to see how much better it is then!

Other people may not agree with this, but I think that the enclosed visual back and star diagonal are a little flimsy... Replaced both within a week of purchasing! This may be something you want to do once you've tried them out. I've also just upgraded to a Baader SteelTrack focusser which is massive but well worth it!

Not sure what EPs you have, but I jumped from a 5" scope and my lowest power EP for that was 24mm. Need something lower power for this scope. It does come with a 40mm PLOSSL, but again, I'm looking to upgrade to a better quality EP around the 30-35mm mark.

sorry - should have read previous posts properly before posting! Seems others are also recommending a new star diagonal and EP of the same size too!

All the above really - I had mine for 2yrs before upgrading to the 925 and I still miss it - mostly cos I get less fit with the passing years lol. 2" diag is a good idea and so too is a dew shield and dew heater - the corrector plate is a dew magnet. Visuals and tracking are excellent and setting up is a doddle - mount it up and switch on and while it's cooling it'll get a lock on the gps satellites - half an hour later you're good to go.

If you want to image anything but planets you'll need a wedge - but otherwise it's a sound purchase and a scope you'll love for a long time to come. :)

One other upgrade before I forget. A chap at local observing session I attended recommended a moonlight focuser specififlcally for my CPC1100 (I assume the same would apply to the 800 or 925). No immediate plans to get one of these but something ill look into a bit more if (and when) I move into imaging with a hyperstar...... Hopefully!

Like I said earlier though, great scope just wish the weather allowed me to use it more often!

James

• 1 month later...

You won't be disappointed I have the CPC1100 and as visual scopes they are superb I envy you been able to take yours to a dark site. Don't get me wrong the CPC 1100 is still portable but trying to fit in to something to protect it and then get it in the car is the bind. I did take it down to my local group once and decided to place it in the passenger seat, seat belted and all I would not recommend this but I did get there unscathed, enjoy your scope.

You won't be disappointed I have the CPC1100 and as visual scopes they are superb I envy you been able to take yours to a dark site. Don't get me wrong the CPC 1100 is still portable but trying to fit in to something to protect it and then get it in the car is the bind. I did take it down to my local group once and decided to place it in the passenger seat, seat belted and all I would not recommend this but I did get there unscathed, enjoy your scope.

Now I've had it for a couple of weeks, Its not bad to lug about weight wise, its just awkward due to its physical bulkiness. I'm having to design and build my own carry case for it as the price of the only one available is equivalent to a couple of decent eyepieces or an eq mount.

The major face palming situation was me forgetting an earlier post on this thread about setting the time zone to universal so the scope can actually use its gps data and orientate itself.

My only complaint is the stupid RJ12 connectors and RS232 nonsense where it should be USB 3.0 like any other sensible piece of equipment seeing as most people are buying the scope for portability and therefore would take a laptop rather than a generator/invertor setup so they can lug there desktop along in the car, I assume its so you have to buy the leads from celestron rather than buying a generic connection cable, more tedious protectionism to extort cash from the customer.

My only complaint is the stupid RJ12 connectors and RS232 nonsense where it should be USB 3.0 like any other sensible piece of equipment seeing as most people are buying the scope for portability and therefore would take a laptop rather than a generator/invertor setup so they can lug there desktop along in the car, I assume its so you have to buy the leads from celestron rather than buying a generic connection cable, more tedious protectionism to extort cash from the customer.

Unfortunately that is the way of the world today. Companies now charge for every little extra to make more money wheras a few yrs ago before the economic implosion these extras were standard accessories. Three yrs ago when i bought my Sony Bravia tv.................i didnt even get a cheap run of the mill HDMI cable with it to connect it to the Sony BR player that i bought in the same shop at the same time. Likewise my new laptop which i bought only a couple of months ago running Windows 8 didnt even come with Windows office installed. The sales guy asked me if i wanted to buy it as an extra costing nearly 90 euros. I politely declined.

I'm amazed that companies do not charge extra yet for mains adapters that come with these sort of goods. Maybe in the next couple of yrs,they will.

Unfortunately that is the way of the world today. Companies now charge for every little extra to make more money wheras a few yrs ago before the economic implosion these extras were standard accessories. Three yrs ago when i bought my Sony Bravia tv.................i didnt even get a cheap run of the mill HDMI cable with it to connect it to the Sony BR player that i bought in the same shop at the same time. Likewise my new laptop which i bought only a couple of months ago running Windows 8 didnt even come with Windows office installed. The sales guy asked me if i wanted to buy it as an extra costing nearly 90 euros. I politely declined.

I'm amazed that companies do not charge extra yet for mains adapters that come with these sort of goods. Maybe in the next couple of yrs,they will.

At the risk of sounding even more like some crotchety old timer, my desktop pc was bought in 1997 and still going strong. I treated myself to a huge 18" screen laptop 3 months ago for my audio interests from PC Con and was outraged to be asked whether i wanted to pay extra for the backup installer disk that sets it up like it was at point of purchase.

"does it not come included as standard then?, the last computer i bought from you did, why do i have to buy it seeing as I have already purchased the OS and the serial number as its prior installed?"

"Thats how it comes when we buy them in from our supplier sir,"

I also declined and I bet my choice of language was somewhat more robust, I almost felt sorry for shouting at the spotty youth on my way out of the door.

"does it not come included as standard then?, the last computer i bought from you did, why do i have to buy it seeing as I have already purchased the OS and the serial number as its prior installed?"

"Thats how it comes when we buy them in from our supplier sir,"

I also declined and I bet my choice of language was somewhat more robust, I almost felt sorry for shouting at the spotty youth on my way out of the door.

To save 20p the computer manufacturers now expect you to burn your own recovery discs, there should be a program installed by the manufacturer to help you do this, but I suspect most people don't bother. It's the first thing I do now with any new computer / laptop.

But getting back on topic, as an 8" SCT owner (8SE) I can second the Baader Steeltrack focuser, WO 2" dielectric star diagonal, Dew shield and dew heater tapes (plus a good controller).

For power you could use AA batteries, but I think really you won't have many dew-free nights during the winter so you will need more power; a power tank or a mains 12v converter becomes a necessity, you could go with the Skywatcher power tank, a Maplins emergency 5-in-1 starter pack (handy as they include USB sockets and two cigarette lighter power sockets), or save some money and just buy a small leisure battery with a set of crocodile clips and a cigarette lighter socket (they can be purchased as one pre-wired set). Whichever power tank solution you buy, a good car battery charger is a good investment, I wouldn't rely on any mains adapter that comes with the power tank.

As for storage and transport, if you kept the original packing this can be put into a large box or trunk, I like the Very Useful Box range (my 8SE fits into the 84ltr, but this would be too small for the fork of a CPC).

Definitely get yourself a red LED torch with variable brightness if possible, choice of gloves can be important too so that you can handle eyepieces and pack away without freezing your fingers off. Winter cycling gloves might be worth looking into.

If you have it, place the tripod on grass as this should reduce vibration time. If you just have hard concrete then vibration suppression pads might help if you find that vibrations last longer than a second or two when you focus or touch the scope.

A simple red dot finder is a very useful addition, you could get a Telrad but they are a bit of a luxury item in my opinion and not as elegant as a small one (which can be more easily fitted / removed with just a couple of screws - a Telrad is a stick-on job and hard to completely remove once attached, or so I've read).

If you have it, place the tripod on grass as this should reduce vibration time. If you just have hard concrete then vibration suppression pads might help if you find that vibrations last longer than a second or two when you focus or touch the scope.

A simple red dot finder is a very useful addition, you could get a Telrad but they are a bit of a luxury item in my opinion and not as elegant as a small one (which can be more easily fitted / removed with just a couple of screws - a Telrad is a stick-on job and hard to completely remove once attached, or so I've read).

I shouldn't worry too much about vibrations with this scope. I use mine (mainly) on my stone-flagged patio, AND I live on a very busy road and it doesn't move at all when big lorries go past (my 130SLT shook very badly with this, and when people walked round my scope!), or when I focus the scope. Try it out before buying any (sometimes) expensive pads! The whole setup weighs 21kg so its fairly solid!

Telrad's are amazing and I do recommend this (or a smaller Rigel) alongside the finderscope. I haven't permanently attached my Telrad, but masking tape has secured the base, or foot, of the Telrad, and then, you can just remove the actual telrad using the screws and leave the base on (means you don't have to realign it each time you use it! But, it does look very 'clunky' on the scope. I already had a Telrad, but if you don't have one, a Rigel will probably look tidier! They work exactly the same and both have the degree circles so are brilliant for star hopping!

post-24939-0-56179000-1377460695_thumb.j

post-24939-0-54575600-1377460753_thumb.j

Telrad's are amazing and I do recommend this (or a smaller Rigel) alongside the finderscope.

Do you find that the optional dew shield is a necessity? I have considered a Telrad in the past for my 8SE but have been kind of put off by how big they are.

Not at home. I'm lucky in that my patio is rather well protected, and I've only had it dew up on me a couple of times. But, when I used it at SGL and at the local astronomy centre (both exposed sites), it dewed up like a very dewy thing (and in no time at all!).

Not used it since I got the optional dew shield, but will be taking it to an exposed site in a couple of weeks, so will find out how good it is then. There was a thread on here that showed you how to make a homemade dew shield for Telrad out of a camping mat. It had templates and everything! I've tried finding it, but no such luck! Does anyone else know where this thread was?

If you are worried about size, then I would go for a Rigel. So much more compact. Its just, like I said, I already had one, so would be silly to buy a Rigel as well. This also has a little built in shield over the projection bit, which may protect it from dew, but never used one so don't know how effective it is!

I've tried making my own dew shields from foam sheets, just never seem to be as good or as robust as the proper ones. It's difficult to get the same materials and glues etc, and to craft in them.

I know the feeling! I was always rubbish at arts and crafts in school! Makes it even worse that I'm a leftie and can't, for the life of me, cut straight with a 'normal' pair of scissors! Keep meaning to buy a left handed pair, but then I go on FLO and somehow I end up with no money left! :embarrassed:

Archived