Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dreams of big binoculars

Michael

You little devil, :evil: pulling out all the stops on this one would love to try them out please let us know all about them once you get them and what make you are thinking of getting

Doug

Michael

You little devil, :evil: pulling out all the stops on this one would love to try them out please let us know all about them once you get them and what make you are thinking of getting

Doug

I have already got one, and it is a very nice EP, and a steal at this price. It works well in my F/6 frac, and gave pretty decent daytime views in the kids' little 4.5" F/4.3 mini-Dob (I think collimation was a tad off, so I will have to check that again. I have not tested it yet in the ST80 at F/5. I do not have any binoviewers or big binoculars yet, so that test will have to wait until I have saved up enough. I just thought I would be sorry if I let this offer pass.

I built a binoscope using two 102mm F5 Startravel refractors, using Meade 24.5mm focal length Superwide 68 degree eyepieces showed no vignetting. :smiley:

That sounds very interesting. What sort of prism set-up did you use?

I must say I have just been very much tempted by a quantum 7 25x100 (including case, tripod and mount) which is going second-hand for 795 euro in the Netherlands.

When using hand held binoculars it seems to me that a little coma does no harm because you don't move your viewpoint within the optics, you move your head and the optics together and continue to view on-axis and coma-free. I dare say that, at some point in the 'getting bigger and bigger' process the observer will tend to start peering out towards the field stops rather than moving the bins. I've very little experience of large bins so I wonder how others feel about this?

Olly

Michael. I used two pairs of star diagonals to achieve the interpupillary distance and two 90 degree erecting prisms for zeith and terrestrial convenience. :smiley:

I have seen those set-ups. I take it you used 1.25" diagonals or else the cost adds up to as much as these APM 100 ED bins.

I must say they are top of my list now. I gather these are one of the only ones with F/5 objectives, and very close to true 100mm aperture. The 90 deg types seem to be F/6, reducing the FOV to a "mere" 2.7 deg at 25x

Check out this recent thread Michael.....

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/o/fpart/all

Thanks, that is very informative. The 45 deg 100mm from Oberwerk (=Quantum 7 by the look) seem to get the better press in combination with 24 Pans (similar to the two 24mm 68deg MaxVisions I am planning to use). Any comparisons with the (rather cheaper) 90deg 100mms (I have seen they are an intermediate 545mm focal length according to www.ganymedes.nl) I am a bit worried that these cheaper ones will also show vignetting.

Archived