Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 standard ratio 9:47 belt mod.

1parsec

The beauty of this kit is that it includes everything including a specially cut and formed spacer and all the Allen keys required. It retains standard gear ratios and is also fully reversible :)

• 5 months later...

reading stuff like this really makes me wish i'd got into engineering instead of stupid I.T. that was all outsourced leaving me on the dole... i'd love to be able to make my own stuff like this but the last time i used a lathe was over 30 years ago at school  :Envy:

• Like 1

reading stuff like this really makes me wish i'd got into engineering instead of stupid I.T. that was all outsourced leaving me on the dole... i'd love to be able to make my own stuff like this but the last time i used a lathe was over 30 years ago at school  :Envy:

Before a year ago I'd never used a lathe at all.  Teaching oneself is slow, but it's certainly possible.  I've not attempted gears yet, but I've made a few other telescope parts.

James

• Like 1

Dave, you and me both mate.....  Like you I'm in the same boat, but at 52 (well by this time next week I will be) it's difficult to change direction.

Dave, you and me both mate.....  Like you I'm in the same boat, but at 52 (well by this time next week I will be) it's difficult to change direction.

Seems to be the theme then!.. Make that 3... & Happy Birthday for next week,  I'm almost half a year ahead of ya.. ~~ :sad: ~~  Went contracting after I was made redundant some years ago & uneasily watched the continual outsourcing of the permies towards the east .

However, I've just inherited a Lathe too.. :grin: :grin: :grin:  & I haven't a clue... yet!

It's probably quite old & dangerous (Must find out about it, no safety guards, driven by what looks like a leather chain!) & it's been sat in the workshop since my partners dad passed some 30 years ago. I've always wanted one so we decided to fire it up when we were deciding what to do with it. Well, after all that time it just sprang into life and... you know that sound.. that perfectly tuned hum.. that sweet sound of mechanical harmony... only real engineering can sound like that! ( definitely not a SW mount slewing  :grin: )  Just couldn't let it go so it's now parked in our garage. :smiley:  Mind you, even after stripping it down.. it took some effort getting it here! I feel I should seek out some tuition though as I'm probably not too keen on donating body parts just yet!

post-11176-0-33368500-1393275533_thumb.j

Dave, you and me both mate..... Like you I'm in the same boat, but at 52 (well by this time next week I will be) it's difficult to change direction.

Only 4 years behind you there... shame the 'difficulty' isn't with us, but the attitudes of others.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OMG - health and safety would have a fit looking at all those exposed gears and belts !! - but what a machine - love it.

Quite amazed that there are three of us all between the ages of 45 and 53, all from the IT sector and all out of work :(   Trouble is everything is now being outsourced, and there is a lot of competition working for an outsourcing company, and it's an employers market -  One position that was recently advertised down here was for an IT Technician, 24/7/365 shift pattern, a round trip of 80 miles, degree in a computer science, or MCSE in a server component, and a 42 hour week - £15K - £17K !!  - ten year ago that post would command a £40K salary 

Anyway, this is now going OT - but lets hope things work out for us all

Oh I am impressed, hows that for service, both kits now sat on my kitchen table.. fantastic Sir :icon_salut:

All items individually packaged, labelled & bubble wrapped. Gleaming away like a work of art... mmm shiny shiny.

Might not get a chance to do it for a few days as I'm in the middle of installing the automated motor drive on the Obsy roof & her indoors has any other spare time devoted to decorating at the moment, bah..

Think I'll do the Heq5 first though.

post-11176-0-29831200-1393417580_thumb.j

post-11176-0-37679000-1393417643_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi Dave,

I like the look of your mod hope it gives you many years of good service.

I was woundering if the cad file you did of the HEQ5 was full 3D?

If so could I please get a copy to save me re inventing the wheel? (I'd like to build on it if required with the prospect of adding other PCB motherboard and motors)

Regards,

AshC