NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to go from an EQ6 ?

Wolfgangwand

I'm in the process of coming to the final stage of my second Obs build , only this one is to be purely for AP. I have a 2011 EQ6 mount that i did intend to attach to the new pier although i've found that i might be able to stretch to something a little bit more exotic . Bearing in mind that this side of the hobby and an EQ6 is quite new to me am i best sticking with this mount for now ( will i have fun with this or will it take a lot of my time just messing around with Mods - good money after Bad ....... ) or take the upgrade route whilst i can ? If i take the upgrade route am i right in thinking that the next real step up would be something in the order of a Tak or is there something worthwhile somewhere in the middle. Any advice would be great .

Rob.

I agree with earl.

Wait to see how the eq8 goes and see if there are any problems.

Could be a perfect all rounder.

While your waiting practice with the eq6.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

I would wait to see how the EQ8 performs before making any decisions.

Yup.. there's a lot of people doing that. Other than that the Mesu might be the next stop.. but definitely wait to see the EQ8 first.

Have to agree, wait and see how the EQ8 pans out when there are some out there in the field.

As for Tak, I'd certainly consider Tak if I was after a fine refractor but for mounts, there are plenty of other players to consider first.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

The EQ8 is a bit of an unknown at present. The price is good but a lot people are probably waiting for the first 'real' reviews and for any subsequent problems to ironed out. In the meantime if you build a sturdy enough steel pier in your obsy that is capable of taking the EQ8 later, the EQ6 should serve you well enough in between. The other mount that vaguely interested me was this one http://www.astromount.co.uk/ which is quite well specified, UK made & about £4.5K I don't know anyone that has one though.

There is, as yet, no middle ground. You go from NEQ6 (or the new Alt Az/GEM version) straight to the Mesu. Potentially the EQ8 will fill the gap. The Takahashi mounts (I have my own and a friend's here now) are beautifully made and pretty accurate but they cost more than the Mesu for one sixth of the payload, which is pretty crazy. Where the Tak EM200 scores is in being the bees knees in terms of portability and fast setup, with the fastest polar alignment routine in the business. For an observatory this is not very important.

If you fancied going unguided then there is the 10 Micron, which can certainly do it because I've just seen Per in action with his. Not a guidescope to be seen, despite a thorough search!! :grin:

The Astromount was new to me but you cannot seriously enter this market without a published PE graph. When the PE curve is posted the talking stops.

Olly

It depends how long you are prepared to wait. The EQ6 is an extraordinary value proposition. Cost wise it stands head and shoulders above (well, ok then: below) all other scopes with similar carry capabilities.

As everyone says, the EQ8 sounds like a good deal, if a complete unknown at present.

However, if you can wait a while and keep your EQ6 then it may happen that the EQ8 sets a benchmark price and other manufacturers will feel pressured to bring out similarly capable mounts in that price range, (If you're in to electronics, you'll know that the Raspberry Pi single-board computer has kick-started a market in low cost SBC's when a year or two ago most of the products with that sort of specification cost 2 or 3 times the price).

However, that may not happen at all. ISTM the established mount manufacturers are remarkably resistant to change, innovation or price cutting - going for the "reassuringly expensive" style of marketing. It's only the newer and lesser known companies that have new ideas at reasonable prices.

Thanks to all for your time taken in responding to my thread. After careful consideration i have decided to opt for the Mesu Mount 200 .

After reading a few online reviews i feel confident that this mount can deliver the reliability and accuracy to compliment my setup not only now but in the future as my equipment will no doubt develop . I think i'm also right in saying that this mount has been designed to lend itself to future adaptations / alterations as the relevant technology develops . Easy to say but the cost sounds extremely good value for this item .

At present my setup consists of an FLT98 with feathertouch focuser using an Atik 383l+ , Guided with a Megrez 72 using a Costar ( to make use of the 72 i already own).

Modern Astronomy has kindly agreed to run through the mount with me when i collect the Unit tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to that ! Cant wait to get my paws on it.

P.S. If anyone else is considering this mount read the review by Olly , it will certainly help make your mind up. :rolleyes:

The only thing i didnt like about the mesu was the servocat controller but they now come with a sitech II controller that has a decent ascom driver.

The mesu with autoguiding using 5second subs is a joy. Every sub with round stars!

If anyone else is considering this mount read the review by Olly , it will certainly help make your mind up. :rolleyes:

Purely for reasons of balance, you could also read the Mesu review by Steve Richards ;-)

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Neil,

Why would you take a 5sec sub????

I have to run for ten min subs in spectroscopy just to build enough snr in a 120min stack......

(Doing it the hard way (?) with a C11/ NEQ6pro/ PHD/ Al's Reticule/ Lodestar...)

Yep, guiding sub length of 5 seconds and i know some people take unguided pictures with these mounts but i would hate to upset the observatory control software and not use its autoguiding feature.

After reading the first impressions and results from the Australian guys who have now got their EQ8's I am seriously considering not now getting the Mesu200 mount and waiting for an EQ8! even it is Oct/Nov it's well under half the cost of the Mesu at £2465 inc 2 10kg weights and saddle it seems the bargain of the century...the Mesu is £5274 with saddle and the same weights....money is very tight at the mo and I could do alot with the £2809 saved! and although the EQ8's load carrying capability isn't as much as the Mesu it's still more than enough for my needs.

Ok it is worm drive (but so are AP and Paramounts) and with dual encoders it looks a VERY attractive prospect.

Time will tell I suppose on the EQ8's but so far other than a couple of niggles the guys in Oz seem veryhappy with theirs.

Mmmmm decisions decisions.

Tom

Archived