NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mac Book Pro Software

recceranger

Hi all,

Advice sought regarding AP software for a Mac Book Pro (latest version). For image processing/stacking etc. Lots for windows based laptops but not a great deal about for Apple products.

Can anyone give me a steer?

Cheers

Lynkeos is a stacking program for macs. I used this software to stack my early attempts at Jupiter but after a short while I got frustrated with the lack of software available and switched to using windows.

Al

I second VMWare Fusions for the Mac, you then have access to all Windows and linux software (providing you can lay your hands on a copy of Windows XP SP2 or greater). I used Bootcamp for a while but I think unless you're playing hardcore games there's really no need, just run up your virtual machine in a window from within Mac OS and allocate CPU cores / RAM as appropriate.

Not sure what memory you may need for stacking software, but I think as long as you can leave Mac OS X at least 1GB RAM you should be fine. In my MacBook Pro I have 16GB installed, plenty to go around! I believe a memory upgrade is a purchase-time-only option for the latest MacBook Pros and iMacs, one of the reasons why I bought mine when I did (that and it was one of the last 17" MacBook Pros that Apple made).

Consider though that I just picked up a 17" Core2Duo T7700 HP 8710w with 4GB RAM for a mere £259 on eBay, a bargain! It's not an i7 but still pretty good for the money. I imagine a good display is useful for astronomy imaging tasks.

Archived