NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad mounting - magnetic strip tape?

I used cable ties to hold the Telrad base onto my 200p whilst I adjusted its position and got some practice at locating object targets using the combination of the Telrad, right angle finder and finally main scope eyepiece. I'm now confident of the position I prefer and plan to replace the cable ties with a more solid fixing, but am reluctant to use the Telrad mount double-sided foam tape and glue it down permanently. It's clear that the main scope tube is steel (rather than aluminium as suggested in some references) so I thought of replacing the foam tape with magnetic strip tape (similar material to fridge magnets). Has anyone any experience of this?

I've not used this method but I think you'd want some pretty strong magnets. whilst a magnet may be difficult to put off at 90 degrees, it's easy to move even a very strong magnet by sliding it so i'd be forever wondering if i'd knocked it out of alignment or not.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

I'm pretty sure at least one SGLer has had problems with adhesion when the tube got damp (I may have imagined this!)

I can understand your concern but I think if you clean any oily residue off the ota first you shouldn't have a problem. If you're still worried, wack on a cable tie as a kind of belt and braces thing. to be honest, I think I'd be able to lift my 200p ota by the telrad (not that I would :) ). good luck with whatever you decide.

As said earlier, get any oil/grease off the OTA. Use isopropanol, meths or something similar.

The double sided tape is very good.

Should you wish to remove the finder base, even years down the line, this is possible.

You can by the citrus smelling cleaners. We use them at work for label and double sided tape removal.

With only moderate care you end up with an OTA that looks untouched.

Unless the exposed paint has faded in the meantime!

Hope this helps.

believe me, if properly applied the sticky pads are more than strong enough and take some removing - it's easy enough just a bit time consuming. make sure the tube is clean and dry as above and you won't have any issues. I'd recommend leaving it 24 hours before use but other than that it's the easiest way to fix to a metal tube. with wood, I'd use screws.

Archived