Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroEQ for EQ mounts

Oily

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi...just received my astroeq from Tom. Could do with a bit of help setting up the config utility. I've a CG5 mount (newer type). Does anyone know if I'm right with the following settings please? I'm using the standard EQ5 motors and gears.

Motor step angle - 7.5

Motor gear ratio - 120:1

Worm gear ratio 144:1

Are the motor and gear settings the same for RA and Dec axis?

Any help much appreciated as I can't wait to try it out! :smiley:

Thanks. Howard.

I believe the CG5 and EQ5 share the same ratios, so yes those should be correct (same for both Axes). Make sure to select "Driver Type = DRV8825" and "Microstepping = Disabled" before clicking the 'Update' buttons for each axis.

It takes time to get used to all the new software CDC eqmod astro tortilla backyard eos phd and get it all working together but I'm all set up outside imaging and guiding and its all working great. I'm using splash top on my pc indoors so I can control my telescope and everything from my laptop out side connected to astro eq I am cozy and warm for a change. Last year I was outside in a fishing bivvy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

observatory comming soon hard part was digging the hole and mixing the concret by had 2/3 of a ton of ballast the alley i had made up by a local machine shop that does a lot of work for the company i work for only charged me for the alley £30  3mtrs of 8" pipe 3mtrs of 50mm box some 24mm studding in a cross through it at the base as rebar and some decking i had left over 

Just a quick tip I have discovered:

Always plug in the power cable before the USB port, things tend to be much more reliable. If you do it the other way around it can cause the USB-Serial chip to crash requiring all power to be removed for around 10 seconds for it to reset. This is what some of you have noticed happening - you plug in power and suddenly the 'link' light goes off.

Not sure what causes this, but as long as you connect power first it shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't seem that doing it the other way causes any damage but it is a tad irritating.

Hi Everyone I'm new here one if my first posts... Wow this looks a tasty piece of kit I'm just getting into Astronomy. Just had my first 200P and EQ5 and dual axis motors delivered. Tomorrow will unbox and then play once clear skies and no wind :(.

Quick question. As I'm so new and spending a little each month building up my setup. I'd like to still buy the AstroEQ, I just pray Tom you still keep making these. I will definitely buy one. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy and welcome your iin he right place lots of help here and astro eq is rapidly getting a big following from eq5 owners. When I started back in 2010 there was nothing like this available and I spent the first two years finding everything by hand so this is a great step up for eq5 owners. Lots of us on here to help you out so ask away.

Tom, I have a friend who's also just got an eq5 and 200p who wants an ASTROEQ so expect to here from him as well. Hopefully your website will be up soon and we can send you some tutorials from what we have been doing like guiding etc.Your soldering skills must be awesome by now. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought the version number would make a nice touch. The end panels are clear as it was the only 1.5mm acrylic I could find to get laser cut, but it does look quite nice (if you ignore the fingerprints and dust, lol!).

Archived