Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroEQ for EQ mounts

Oily

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I down load the zip file it well give you everything in one package. Install the driver then run the config utility. When you have done all that connect to your mount in CDC and eqmod should pop up if it doesn't you will need to use the tool box in as com files section and put in your correct com port. It takes a while to get it all connected there's a lot to learn. If you get stuck pm me and I will try and help you out. QM

I got it installed but Im having issues with the configuration setup. I have keyed in Motor step angle of 1.8 degrees, motor gear ratio of 705 and worm gear ratio of 144. Ive then updated it and hit done. I keep getting the message "Write Failed!! Connection unavailable. Any Ideas?

It sounds like you might not have your port selection correct in eqmod check your com ports and make sure astro eqdrivers are installed correctly then check your com port setting in the eqmod set up and see if thats the problem. If eqmod cant find the correct com port for astroeq you wont have any joy until you assign it the correct one.

Windows 7 is fine - that's what I use. Windows 8 also has no issues (XP to 8 have all been tested).

@Pete, you're using the dual axis motors aren't you?  In which case, the Step angle = 7.5, Worm Ratio = 144, Motor Ratio = 120. Though using different numbers won't be what is causing the connection issues.

I've just mentioned on Github, but will add it here as well, you need to make sure that the USB cable you are using is decent quality, beware of buying them from eBay.

Could you post a screenshot of the utility when it says Write Failed so I can see what it says in the black box below.

Cheers Tom.  I have got past that stage now but I need to go back and key in the correct values you have just given me.  I got an error message at the end of the setup saying that it was unable to connect to EQMOD so working on that now.

Well this is fun, I have installed splashtop on my bedroom pc and I am now able to sit in my bedroom and control everthing from my observatory up here in the warm. Its a great app and really easy to install. Once I got everthing going well in my observatory I can now stay in the warm and control it all from up here. Here is a screen grab of imaging m35 at the moment the phd graph is looking tasty and best of all I am no longer freezing cold.

post-8732-0-08823400-1390341517_thumb.jp

It may seem like cheating a bit but I did my apprenticeship and served 2 cold years outside with no shelter brrr I can still remember it. So this year decided to turn my shed into a make do observatory and now I have astroeq on my side I can afford the luxury's of life  :grin:

I must now get myself some dew shields so I can stop using the hair dryer all the time and stay in the warm. Mind you I do actually like being out there but its getting pretty cold now so it nice to be able to run every thing from QM HQ  :police: Really chuffed to be able to get a full 10 minutes guided sub that is the icing on the cake for me. Now all we need is some decent weather.

This is my make do shed observatory works great and keeps me sheltered. I have now moved the mount on to three big tree stumps to increase the height but I have got to improve those slide off osb boards they are ok but its been so wet there beginning to suffer. Roll on the summer when I can put in a concrete floor and make it all nicer.

2013-09-22+14.57.32.jpg

And here is the single 10 minute guided sub processed. I did this 2 years ago when I modded the skywatcher handset with the shoestring kit and it worked but this is way way better as I have full go to full use of eqmod astro tortilla and eq align cdc and a lot more. And of course a full guided system all controlled from my bedroom pc. Funny I remember saying I would never use a lap top or get a go to system but that was because it was out of my budget but now its all mine.. mine I tell you mwahh ha ha ha  :evil7:

post-8732-0-58782300-1390348171_thumb.jp

Out of curiosity, what causes the stretching in the corners - I presume it is something in the optics. I've noticed it on many of the pics you post - the stars are nice and round in the middle but in the top left corner they are noticeably stretched.

I don't have coma corrector Tom for the 200p, you get this effect in the corners without one but its worse if your collimation is out normally I use my processing methods to get rid of it if its really bad. When I had my ed80 and its coma corrector I got nice tight round stars but I have a strange affection for my 200p and can live with out a coma corrector for a while yet.

here a close up of the corner showing the effect of distortion with out a coma corrector and the next pic is after processing to remove most of it. Cheaper then the price of a coma corrector.

post-8732-0-44383600-1390350146_thumb.jp

post-8732-0-37081300-1390350157_thumb.jp

Bear in mind the that my 200p and all its cables and add ons is pushing its max weight carrying capacity to the max as well so I think that's a pretty good result. A lot of people new to guiding might like to check there polar alignment is spot on and there scopes are well balanced if there having troubles as I think that was where mine was at. Still that's the flattest graph I have ever managed to get so I'm very happy with it. :grin:

Are the usb cables really that critical when using the AstroEQ?  I was slewing and tracking fine last night but when I came to start everything up tonight I had problems.  Everything was working until I came to plug my vesta pro in.  In between trying to focus the telescope and plugging the webcam in the link to the mount appears to have been severed.  CDC wont connect to it so I tried different usb ports and tried re installing everything.  The AstroEQ setup will not connect through Port 1 or Port 3 (the only options in the drop down menu).  I tried another mini usb that came with one of my old cameras and same problem.  Anyone else had similar problems?

Pete

I had problems with my com ports and decided to get a powered USB hub with 5usb slots it works fine now. I have to watch the com ports closely sometimes if I unplug my cameras two USB cables it screws thing up and I get a time out error in eqmod and lose connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've found a place that 3D prints stuff and uploaded the motor bracket designs to see what's what.

They end up being quite expensive though - £43.62 for the pair (inc. p&p). If there were 10 people interested that would come down to £32 a pair (inc. p&p). 
Once you factor in the cost of motors and pulleys and belts and the nuts/bolts, I'm not sure it is any cheaper than buying a dual axis kit - at least the motors/gearing would be much better though.

Archived