Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you had to pick one item/filter for Mars viewing on a budget? Advice please.

Hi All

I have a 8" Celestron Nexstar SCT and can bring Mars in as a substantial object, however I m getting no surface definition and it appears to be jumping around (usually when low in sky so I m guessing this is atmospheric rather than equipment related), especially compared to other bright stars.

To gain definition, and on a budget!, is there any one filter that would help improve definition to see the ice caps for example :(.

Any advice/help appreciated. I would prefer budget priced filters as I can actually source more expensive filters via a work colleague who travels over from the US but I wont ser her again for a few months.

Regards

CP

Hi there - when I was observing Mars last weekend I found orange filter was best:

"Best view seemed to be with the 15mm Plossl (120x) plus #21 Orange filter (46% transmission)." See my post on the planetary observation section.

This was through the MAK 150mm/1800mm FL. The effects you were noticing were probably due to seeing conditions. It wasn't until Mars was very high in the sky that my image settled down.

I tried other filters, including a deep red one, but this just made the image too dim.

An orange filter shouldn't be too expensive.

:icon_jokercolor:

Good luck

Ed

Archived