NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next major imaging purchase

Gina

I think I've pretty much decided what my next major item will be. Here I am planning months ahead :D Anyone guess? Not any of the incoming new goodies - yet! Been thinking about the follow on from my dual imaging system (which hasn't even been properly working yet :D ) and thinking that colours come in threes RGB or Ha, OIII, SII - so dual imaging seems a little bit half hearted :D SO... my next big buy has to be a third mono 314L+. I have 3 200mm lenses (one Asahi SMC Takumar and two Vivitar) and can look out for another 105mm as that seems a useful FL. Then next would have to be another ED80 and focal reducer.

Am I daft? Probably :D Anyone else have a triple imaging system? Of course, in the two or three monthes it'll take to save up for that I could easily change my mind :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've pretty much decided what my next major item will be. Here I am planning months ahead :D Anyone guess? Not any of the incoming new goodies - yet! Been thinking about the follow on from my dual imaging system (which hasn't even been properly working yet :D ) and thinking that colours come in threes RGB or Ha, OIII, SII - so dual imaging seems a little bit half hearted :D SO... my next big buy has to be a third mono 314L+. I have 3 200mm lenses (one Asahi SMC Takumar and two Vivitar) and can look out for another 105mm as that seems a useful FL. Then next would have to be another ED80 and focal reducer.

Am I daft? Probably :D Anyone else have a triple imaging system? Of course, in the two or three monthes it'll take to save up for that I could easily change my mind :D

What about the luminance channel?

Cheers,

Chris

What about the luminance channel?

Cheers,

Chris

Ah well... Once the Esprit 80ED has been out for a while and assuming it's as good as has been thought, I might just get one of those for the luminance and use the 3 Evostars for the RGB :D Before that I could use the 3 Evostars all together for the luminance and stack all those together, then set to RGB afterwards. Of course that would mean I'd need 3 L filters. With a dual imaging system, I could do 2 steps ie. L + R then G + B though that would give the wrong balance. OTOH I could always do a third run with L + L.

I would have to save up for 5 years to afford the Tak FSQ85 :eek:

Then do it! More seriously, if you are going to do mosaics it starts getting cheaper to go for faster optics and a bigger chip. I used the FSQ85 (They come up second hand) and the Atik 4000. F3.9, large pixels, FOV of what, about double the 314L?

A while back somebody posted an incredulous response to the fact that Apogee will be offering the new huge chip in an £18000 camera. Yes, that IS a lot but it works out the same as acheiving the same chip size via multiple 314Ls... So maybe it isn't that ridiculous.

My real point is that you shouldn't get locked into any one product but should consider what combination of singles/multiples and chip sizes and F ratios wll really eat the sky the fastest. But hey, the sky is there to be eaten!!!

Olly

.... I used the FSQ85 (They come up second hand) .....

I shall have my eyes peeled for one later this year.... Used FSQ85 and Atik314/460 are rarer than hens teeth, that says something about how well liked they are.

Then do it! More seriously, if you are going to do mosaics it starts getting cheaper to go for faster optics and a bigger chip. I used the FSQ85 (They come up second hand) and the Atik 4000. F3.9, large pixels, FOV of what, about double the 314L?

A while back somebody posted an incredulous response to the fact that Apogee will be offering the new huge chip in an £18000 camera. Yes, that IS a lot but it works out the same as acheiving the same chip size via multiple 314Ls... So maybe it isn't that ridiculous.

My real point is that you shouldn't get locked into any one product but should consider what combination of singles/multiples and chip sizes and F ratios wll really eat the sky the fastest. But hey, the sky is there to be eaten!!!

Olly

I see your point Olly :) I certainly agree that more photon gobbling power is what's needed and I love the idea of f4 or faster optics. Yes, the Evostar 80ED is beginning to look slow at f6.37 particularly as I've been imaging at f4 with the widefield rig and f5.3 with the MN190.

ATM I'm flat broke as far as anything more than £100 is concerned so I'll need to save up for a few months before buying anything like a new camera. And I am having second thoughts about another 314L+. ATM there seems little point in buying anything other than odds and ends to get my present kit working well with the present dreadful weather :(

I shall have my eyes peeled for one later this year.... Used FSQ85 and Atik314/460 are rarer than hens teeth, that says something about how well liked they are.

An FSG85 and Atik460 would be my dream setup too. OK so the Atik4000 more so but I think that will have to remain in my dreams - beyond the reach of a poor old pensioner :D Of course, poor is relative and to be able to afford any astro equipment is a bonus :) I doubt I'd be able to afford much if I had to rely on the state pension only.

An FSG85 and Atik460 would be my dream setup too. OK so the Atik4000 more so but I think that will have to remain in my dreams - beyond the reach of a poor old pensioner :D Of course, poor is relative and to be able to afford any astro equipment is a bonus :) I doubt I'd be able to afford much if I had to rely on the state pension only.

Yes, we can dream :)

Actually its the camera I'm going for first, the Tak is further down the line. A used 460 mono with wheel/filters etc is simply not going to happen. I was going for a 314 but following soem things Olly has said I might bite the bullet and swallow hard. Will ping a sanity check post nearer to when I can buy it at end of month when i get some bonus. It is a very expensive purchase and I want to be sure i am doing the right thing with my current scopes which need to last me a while yet. When i get the Tak I will offload the ED80.

Yes, we can dream :)

Actually its the camera I'm going for first, the Tak is further down the line. A used 460 mono with wheel/filters etc is simply not going to happen. I was going for a 314 but following soem things Olly has said I might bite the bullet and swallow hard. Will ping a sanity check post nearer to when I can buy it at end of month when i get some bonus. It is a very expensive purchase and I want to be sure i am doing the right thing with my current scopes which need to last me a while yet. When i get the Tak I will offload the ED80.

The 460 does look pretty good and I might go for one of those rather than another 314L+. I've taken note of what Sara has said :)

As for scopes, I won't be going for another Evostar 80ED but the same stable might provide an answer with the upcoming Esprit 80ED. OTOH the Borg 60ED looks quite interesting for wider fields at what might be an affordable price. Much thought required :D

In my opinion the 460 is a logical choice - It makes no sense whatsoever to try to decide between the 314L+ and the 460 when you can crop the 460 image to the same image size as the 314L+ and have the same quality of image at the end. With the 460, if it's affordable you can get a 314L+ size image if you want as well as a wider field.

In my opinion the 460 is a logical choice - It makes no sense whatsoever to try to decide between the 314L+ and the 460 when you can crop the 460 image to the same image size as the 314L+ and have the same quality of image at the end. With the 460, if it's affordable you can get a 314L+ size image if you want as well as a wider field.

Yes, the almost a 2:1 price difference certainly counts :D I think the 460 must be slightly less sensitive as the pixel size is 4.54 rather than 6.45. But the increase in resolution is certainly nice :) Another advantage of the 460 is the much smaller diameter - it would be much better in a triple WF imaging rig :)

Archived