SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Small but decent pair of bins - advice needed

stevil

I am seriously thinking about getting into astronomy having been interested in all things space related since I was a young boy and am weighing up whether to get a 127 Mak or a 200 Dob for my 40th birthday in a few months time.

However in the meantime, to test the water and to see if the hobby worth spending hundreds of pounds on (I’m sure it is to lots of people – that comment just applies to me), I have been looking at getting a pair of binoculars when I get home and have purchased Stephen Tonkin’s Kindle edition of Binocular Astronomy for advice and think I will get a pair of 10x50 Helios Fieldmasters.

I also expect that these binoculars would complement my observing if or when I obtain a scope, especially when any decent comets are visible.

I say when I get home as I am currently at work on a ship which is currently quite a bit off the coast of Central Western Africa and heading towards the northern hemisphere.

Last night I borrowed a pair of maritime 7x50 binoculars from the bridge. They are not the best quality and have taken some abuse and, despite the rolling of the ship, and the left eyepiece not focusing particularly brilliantly, I was quite taken back as to what I saw especially the Milky Way, something I had only really seen in a planetarium.

I sat up on the “monkey deck” in the dark and saw so much using an app on my Android phone to guide me. It was only for around half an hour or so and I quickly realised I need a lot more practice especially compensating for the movement of the vessel, but it was a really nice experience.

I am now considering getting 2 pairs of binoculars, the pair for home I have already mentioned and a more portable and compact pair for taking to work. Due to weight and size constraints (as I occasionally crew change by helicopter) can anyone recommend a pair that are reasonably good and not too heavy, wont taken up too much room in luggage and will allow me to get the best of what is pretty much always dark sky areas? I spend over 6 months of the year away from home so I could perhaps spend a bit more time observing when I am at work so I can *maybe* spend a little more time with the Mrs when I'm home :grin:

Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi stevil, welcome to SGL. You have done wisely getting hold of 'Binocular Astronomy' to read. Binoculars are quite 'personal' items by that I mean your personal requirements might not match those of others so there are a number of decent products out there to suit demands and pockets. I have just recently taken delivery of a pair of Opticron Imagic TGA WP they are 10x50's and would think they are the sort of binocular you could take anywhere easily. If you have the money I wonder how a pair of Canon image stabilised 10 x 42L IS WP would work for you on that rolling deck. You have the best skies though in mid-ocean. :smiley: Who knows you might find that binoculars are better than telescopes-more people are coming to use binoculars as their main instrument. Whatever you decide-good luck. Cheers,Steve

... and have purchased Stephen Tonkin’s Kindle edition of Binocular Astronomy for advice ..
That old hack-rag -- you'd do better with a crystal ball or chicken entrails! :grin:
Last night I borrowed a pair of maritime 7x50 binoculars from the bridge.
I would not use 10x on a moving ship, I'd come down to 7x or 8x.
This, and not the oft-cited larger exit pupil, is the main reason 7x50 are favoured for marine use (see p39 of above hack-rag... :grin: )

Image Stabilising ones eh? I never thought of that. Unfortunately I think the Canon 10x42IS WPs are a *little* outside my budget :smiley: I'll have another gander at the book (and Mr Tonkin you are much too modest) and see if it does recommend any small ones that may fit the bill. I didnt notice before as I was looking at least 10x50 for home use.

hmmm 7x or 8x and maybe image stabilising then?

I'll have to look into that.

Thanks very much. :grin:

I've compared Canon IS with Leica in comparable sizes. I'd really like the Leica optics and the Canon IS system... of course! When push comes to shove I'd take the Leicas provided the magnification were low. For birding the high mag and stabilization can be great. For astronomy, why am I using binoculars? Certainly not for high mag, for which I have telescopes.

Olly

Re IS: There was a S&T review of several some years back. Of the "active stabilisation" systems, the Canon was better at removing the "jitters" (and hence better for terrestrial use), but I think (i.e check! - my memory is dire) the Fujinon Techno-Stabi ones were considerd better for the roll of a heaving deck.

I think IS ones may be out for me as they are a lot of money and my luggage tends to get knocked about quite a bit on planes, helicopters and crew boats. Given the option I would not like to lose any money (see where I'm from!) but I'd be happier having a 50 pound pair of binoculars being damaged than a 350 pound or 1000 pounds+ I.S. pair being broken.

I think I'll look at a x7 or x8 pair for the vessel and a bit better pair for home though.

thanks chaps, appreciate your help.

Steve

i have pentax 10x50 bins and they work a treat for me , nice crisp wide views. they are my grab and go cos i carry them around on a night shift and use any break in the clouds as a chane for a gawp :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My vessel is now in the North Sea after nealy 2 years off the coast of Africa. The downside is luggage weight is an issue as crew change is by helicopter and I also have to pack 5 weeks of clothes, toiletries and gadgets. I've just ordered an Illusion 7x32 monocular as it is very light (260g) and will see how that goes initially. I'm not expecting miracles but it should be better than the naked eye and once I'm out of the North Sea (in a few months) will look at bins I can take where luggage weight is not a factor.

Oh and I've also bought a pair of Helios Field master 10x50 and a Celestron Nexstar 127 as I got a loyalty bonus from my company, didn't know I was going to get that so was a nice surprise.

Cheers,

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Archived