NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello and any tips?

KayleighClancy

Hi Kayleigh,

Welcome to astronomy and with luck you will be bitten by the bug very soon to the point of no return. :p

Now, here is the reality. Please buy telescopes from a Telescope Retailer. Depending on where you are in the UK, there are many reliable retailers who not only sell, but also advice. 76mm aperture will probably show some detail on the moon, and maybe on Jupiter/Saturn. That is all. Please be prepared to handle this instrument delicately as the tripod is generally fiddly and catches wind fast and can topple. The eyepieces are Huygenian design, and the 20mm and 12.5mm may be useful, the 4mm and 1.5x lens will not be. 262 times magnification is only a claim the manufacturer makes. Realistically the ideal maximum magnification per inch of aperture is 50x from a place like snowdonia, but from a city it is 35x to 40x per inch. In your case the mirror is 3 inches which means 120x maximum attainable. This also means that larger the aperture of the telescope, the higher the magnification you can get and higher its resolution, which also directly implies that deeper into space you can peek. I do not intend to put you off, but a 70mm Sky-Watcher refractor which costs ~£100 will show better details as well as have better eyepieces and tripod. They also do not make false claims. You could consider returning this telescope for a refund and invest it on a better scope.

As far as learning whats up in the sky is concerned, please download stellarium, its free and extremely well made. All you need to do is enter your location in the settings and it will render the sky for that time of the day. You can forward the time in it and plan your night a few hours earlier itself. You can also purchase the book "Turn Left at Orion" which is very well written. Finally, join your local astronomy club, because nothing beats a face to face interaction with senior, more experienced members of the club. You also get to use members and clubs equipment and you will be able to then make informed decisions on which way you are headed (viaula astronomy, astrophotography, refractors, reflectors etc etc )

All the Best to you,,

This is really helpful thankyou and this telescope cost me £2.70 at an auction so i will get a decent one but thanks for the advice :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi kayleigh welcome to the lounge,

the moon is really good to observe at the moment,

give it a try, use 20mm eyepiece first then 12.5mm

leave the 4mm till last, try without the moon filter, but

if you find it's to bright use it. Enjoy.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Thankyou okay will do cheers :)

Rather than buying turn left at Orion just yet, try this link

http://www.cambridge.org/features/turnleft/default.htm

it will give you an idea of what's in the book, also more

of what's to come, your scope is not powerful enough

to see most of what is in the book, but if you buy it now

it will help you to learn a lot more of the night sky.

hope this helps.

Hi Kayliegh and welcome to SGL, now that scope is an expensive bargain :D should at least give you an introduction to observe some of the targets that can seen in the night sky at present, so long as you do not try and overdo the magnification, you should be fine, enjoy :)

Kayleigh,

It would be worthwhile looking at the Binocular Sky links on SGL. The Newsletter is really good and Stephen Tonkin picks out a variety of objects many of which should be within the capabilities of your telescope. There are notes on how to find the objects via star hops - a useful technique to learn. Half the enjoyment, for me at least, is the challenge of finding objects and how well you can see them can be dominated by how dark the sky is from your site, which can be as big a factor as the aperture of the telescope.

Dave

Hey and welcome to SGL.

If your scope cost you £2.70 then ANYTHING you see through it will make it more than worth it :) There are some great ~£100 scopes out there for starting with, Im sure once youv had a look through the one you have there will be alot of advice on offer if you decide youv got the bug and want to upgrade.

Wish my first scope had cost £2.70

Clear Skies!

Matt

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley: 16 yrs old ? i remember that, the best advice? just enjoy everything astronomy has to offer in life. i bought my first scope at around 16 yrs old, the scope has long gone, but the love and amazement of the universe remains and will do for ever!

• 1 month later...

Archived