NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does this look correct

spacebloke

Hi folks,

I'm currently building my first powertank (full write up with pictures coming soon).

I'm connecting the negative side up first and just wanted to know if this looks correct.

Many thanks,

Stuart

post-11004-0-39823300-1371221422_thumb.j

The wire is going through the cover for the terminal block the wrong way! You won't be able to fix the cover on how you have it in the photo.

Alan P.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's probably fine and just me worrying about nothing but I'd be inclined to beef up the cable thickness (maybe 4-6mm). It can never be too big but it's possible to be too small. Looks good though

Edit:- bearing in mind that all the sockets eventually run through that one wire. could be:- laptop (5A), Mount (2A), Dew heaters (?), cameras. You could easily be over 10A before you know it. remember, just because you might not be using all these to start, doesn't mean you won't in the future.............(Future proof) :)

Hi Scott,

It's 17amp wire coming from the battery. That then goes to the terminal, then from the terminal it's 8amp wire to the sockets.

I've been working closely with Mark (lardy) on this project as I have no electrical knowledge whatsoever. He basically wrote down everything that I needed and drew me a diagram for how to put it together.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Scott,

It's 17amp wire coming from the battery. That then goes to the terminal, then from the terminal it's 8amp wire to the sockets.

I've been working closely with Mark (lardy) on this project as I have no electrical knowledge whatsoever. He basically wrote down everything that I needed and drew me a diagram for how to put it together.

Cheers

Stuart

Well, I've no doubt Mark knows more about this than I do so I'll change my origional post to....." looks great Stuart" :). I guess the fuses will take care of any shorts anyway. Keep posting your progress as this is something I'm interested in doing myself.

why the short wire going from the threaded smaller terminal to the main battery connector?, looks as though that's already connected as part of the battery?

I may be wrong but I think it's more of a clamp to avoid strain on the connection

To be honest hazegood i'm not entirely sure what its for. I just know mark said it needed to be there.

Scott, I'm taking pictures throughout my progress and I plan to do a dedicated thread about the build. It's for people (like me) who want a leisure battery powertank but don't really have the electronical know how to take the leap and build one.

Stuart

The battery has terminals for split-clamp and bolt down connectors.

The split clamp in the image is the kind used on cars.

The earth on cars has to carry the starter motor current maybe 50 amps peak, so mega heavy cable is used and clamped by the two slotted head screws.

No it's not a guide for the cable.

Michael

You really could do with heavy duty wire like I have in this image.

The cable coming from the battery to the terminal and fusebox is 17amp wire, is this not enough?

I cant see what the connector to the battery is but Id do away with the car type connector as its not needed and fit some type of spade terminal to the wire so it fits securely under the terminal post bolt. Id also consider an inline fuse on positive side.

The car terminal connectors were recommended by Mark (lardy) on this forum. He used them on his powertank also. The connection looks quite secure now I've tightened it up.

Where would an inline fuse go?

This is a diagram of where everything is going to go inside the box.

The heavy red wire is 17amp and the light wire is 8amp

post-11004-0-87043100-1371277439_thumb.j

Hi Stuart, Just a couple of thoughts. First, I would use a ring terminal on the earth & live wire connections to the battery - crimped to the wires. Makes for a better, more secure connection and wont damage the wire when you tighten down the clamping nut. Crushing the wire like that will lead to failure of the wire with any vibrations it may be subjected to i.e. whilst being moved about.

Second, are those car type fuses quick blow? If not you could still get enough of a spike through to damage your equipment before they blow. If you take the red wires that are at the moment going to your sockets to a panel mount fuse holder with quick blow fuses in them and then take the wire out of the other fuse holder terminal and into your power socket you will be covered.

You can see my mains powered supply box project here: Christmas Holiday Project where I use the panel mount fuse holders for each power socket.

Good luck with the rest of the build. I'm sure you will be very happy with it when you have finished.

Hi Stuart, Just a couple of thoughts. First, I would use a ring terminal on the earth & live wire connections to the battery - crimped to the wires. Makes for a better, more secure connection and wont damage the wire when you tighten down the clamping nut. Crushing the wire like that will lead to failure of the wire with any vibrations it may be subjected to i.e. whilst being moved about.

Second, are those car type fuses quick blow? If not you could still get enough of a spike through to damage your equipment before they blow. If you take the red wires that are at the moment going to your sockets to a panel mount fuse holder with quick blow fuses in them and then take the wire out of the other fuse holder terminal and into your power socket you will be covered.

You can see my mains powered supply box project here: Christmas Holiday Project where I use the panel mount fuse holders for each power socket.

Good luck with the rest of the build. I'm sure you will be very happy with it when you have finished.

That's a nice build Bryan, might be beyond my electronic skills though :(

Bryan, this is the fusebox the power is going through http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

and these are the fuses http://www.vehicle-w...fuses/fuses.php It's the standar ones i'm using, 4amp for the mount and 3amps for everything else.

The charging socket is purely for charging and nothing else.

I might change the connections to the battery at some point, but at the moment they seem very secure.

Bryan, this is the fusebox the power is going through http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

and these are the fuses http://www.vehicle-w...fuses/fuses.php It's the standar ones i'm using, 4amp for the mount and 3amps for everything else.

The charging socket is purely for charging and nothing else.

I might change the connections to the battery at some point, but at the moment they seem very secure.

I'd check your laptop, I think mine draws 5A. :)

Hey Scott, just had a look at the back of my power cable for the laptop and it says,

Input - 1.7a

Output - 3.5a

This sounds a little low to me if yours is drawing 5a

Stuart

It is pretty old (6-7 yrs) so maybe newer once are more efficient. I'm not sure but I know I can run my neq6 all night on a 17Ah battery but add the laptop and I'm down to 3 hrs.

Archived