NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Outer Planets

I finally got to see Mercury last night. Not an outer planet I know, but it got me thinking about when it will be a good time to look for the outer planets, namely Uranus and Neptune.

Any tips on how to go about looking for these two?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of years ago, I followed Neptune over a period of a couple of weeks, taking piccies as it passed through an obvious star pattern. Animated those shots into a small movie and regularly got some "Ooo's" from people to whom I showed it. Quite a pleasing exercise.

On friday evening i thought i had found Uranus with my Tal, but on checking stellarium next day was wrong position, so i must have found a green star

Or a near-stellar planetary nebula. The current area in the sky where Neptune is located is littered with these little PNs. They are actually called planetary nebulae because of their similarity to Uranus and Neptune. The term planetary was not coined for M27, M57, M76, or M97; they do not look the part. Only later did people realize these Messiers fit into the same class.

Archived