NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick question on metal paint

emadmoussa

I sanded one of my slightly rusty counterweights, removing the paint completely and smoothing the surface...finishing with a very nice shiny silver colour. The intention was repainting, but I think I like the shiny silver a lot better. I want to keep it that way. The question is, what kind of sealant or transparent paint to preserve the look from rust? Sort of transparent layering...

ggw0920.jpg

i would of thought clear spray laquer, but some brands have a slight yellow tint, either that or go to your local engineering machine shop and ask them to make you one out of st/steel

All Laquer will turn it dull Imad, (the air gets trapped)

You may as well leave it as it is and wipe it form time to time, it will only go rusty if you leave it outside :smiley:

All Laquer will turn it dull Imad, (the air gets trapped)

You may as well leave it as it is and wipe it form time to time, it will only go rusty if you leave it outside :smiley:

I was thinking that. I can't believe this was a standard white Skywatcher counterweight :D Excuse my dull DIY skills...it's exciting when you achieve even the most modest results - I am tempted to sand and polish the other ones only for aesthetic reasons :)

Many years ago when I was at school, someone completely stripped all the paint off his bike (a racer - shows how long ago) and had it chrome plated, looked really good all shiny

maybe you could get it chromed?

Archived