NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anybody use this William Optics focuser?

emadmoussa

I came across it while searching for a dual speed focuser for my SCT. It looks awesome and reasonably priced. Not many reviews out there on performance, but would assume since it's a WO product it should in worst case scenario be OK. It's No. 1 on my list now :) I love the digital features..

http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/sct_ddg_feature.php

WO-SCTfocuser.jpg

2inddgfocuser.jpg

Imad - I think this has been discontinued due to complaints for slippage - I almost bought one.

Its is a pity because it is a great looking bit of kit.

There are some reviews on SGL that I read when i was looking into getting one

Sorry Imad you sound as disappointed as I was, its better than finding out afterwards.

I must stress i have not owned one, However,I did speak to W O directly, they recommended the Baader.

I am almost certain there is a thread on here about it - search under W O Crayford focussers in google

WO crayfords do have a bit of poor rep compared to Moonlight or Baader Steeltrack. Look at Feathertouch if you want the best.

Mm...I think the three are a bit beyond my price range. I suppose I'm left with the option of either Skywatcher or Revelation...

The focuser depicted the website following the link you sent is not the same one that is shown in the photos contained within your post. The one on the WO website is the rack and pinion focuser, not the crayford (R&P generally, but not always, being considered superior).

The design looks extremely similar to the one that is on my WO GTF-81 - I would guess it is nearly identical except for the method for how it attaches to the scope. The initial R&P models for the GTF-81 were good, but needed a little tighter tolerances. William Optics started producing much higher precision rack & pinion focuser components for the focusers that come on the GTF-81 around September-October 2012 (I believe these are the correct dates). I believe they may have started doing this for all of the R&P focusers of this style. If you want to know whether or not the focuser you are interested in comes with the higher precision components, ask WO; they are very honest with their customers. Mention that you know that the GTF scopes now come with higher precision focuser components and you are wondering if this off-the-shelf solution for your scope would as well.

For my review of this focuser, scroll through the thread at the following link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/175985-william-optics-gtf-81-very-initial-observations/

William Optics' E-mail --> wo(at)williamoptics.com

The focuser depicted the website following the link you sent is not the same one that is shown in the photos contained within your post. The one on the WO website is the rack and pinion focuser, not the crayford (R&P generally, but not always, being considered superior).

The design looks extremely similar to the one that is on my WO GTF-81 - I would guess it is nearly identical except for the method for how it attaches to the scope. The initial R&P models for the GTF-81 were good, but needed a little tighter tolerances. William Optics started producing much higher precision rack & pinion focuser components for the focusers that come on the GTF-81 around September-October 2012 (I believe these are the correct dates). I believe they may have started doing this for all of the R&P focusers of this style. If you want to know whether or not the focuser you are interested in comes with the higher precision components, ask WO; they are very honest with their customers. Mention that you know that the GTF scopes now come with higher precision focuser components and you are wondering if this off-the-shelf solution for your scope would as well.

For my review of this focuser, scroll through the thread at the following link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/175985-william-optics-gtf-81-very-initial-observations/

William Optics' E-mail --> wo(at)williamoptics.com

Thanks for the tip. This is actually what I was looking at: http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/William_Optics_Focusers.html

I would not suggest purchasing a William Optics crayford focuser. The only WO focuser I would recommend purchasing is their rack and pinion focuser if you can get your hands on one of the newer production models with tighter manufacturing tolerances. Otherwise, save your money and buy a Feathertouch.

I've had a couple of William Optics crayford focusers on scopes. They look the bees knees but are really not that great. If they loos their adjustment they seem virtually impossible to get back to smooth operation again. I changed my last one for a Moonlite and it's simply in another league altogether.

I've had no problems with the units on my WO fracs although I've not really had any weight on them - FLT 98 and Megrez 72. Is it just a weight thing or with use / wear ?

It's a design issue.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had a WO GT81 with a WO DDG and I wasn't very happy with it. The focusing action seems spongy and vague. May be because I'm used to FT and Moonlite. Eventually I sold it for a Borg and I love the 7835 helical. It doesn't slip regardless of load. I need to increase tension in my FT and Moonlite when I use heavy eyepieces, while the helical just carry on as usual.

It's a shame Borg stopped making the 7837, otherwise I'd be tempted to replace the Moonlite on my C925 with a helical.

Readers: there are significant differences between the WO GT-81 and GTF-81 -- they are very different scopes in terms of design and build quality.

Readers: there are significant differences between the WO GT-81 and GTF-81 -- they are very different scopes in terms of design and build quality.

Yes, I am aware GT81 and GTF81 are different scopes. I haven't seen a GTF81 in real life, so I can't comment on the its quality. GT81 built quality is better than average, but certainly not up to the same standard as my Stellarvue SV80s with FT focuser.

Anyway, this doesn't matter because we are talking about WO Crayford focuser on this thread. I had a GT81 and it used a DDG Crayford similar to the one the OP is interested. GTF81 uses DDG R&P which is quite different.

Archived