NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar filter and first sun shot

As the sun came out and we had a clear sky today (The first in a long time) I thought I'd get around to making a solar filter for my telescope and see what happening at the Sun. Using Baader Planetarium solar film I picked up at the IAS last week and some Blue Peter'esque cutting and gluing, I ended up with a half respectable filter.

8844847637_62a8bc253d_z.jpg

It took longer to make than I was expecting so I didn't have much time for observing but I did manage to snag this quick shot. The wind motion on the scope caused a bit of softness but you can clearly see a few Sun spots. It will be interesting to compare when the activity picks up again.

8845479842_60c5dab930_z.jpg

I just took single images using a DSLR for this. Is that the right approach for the Sun? It seems that it has plenty of light so stacking etc. is a bit overkill.

Thanks for the advice and link. If it's clear tomorrow I'll try the stacking technique. Restricting the aperture could be a good idea too but my lens cap doesn't have the smaller removable covers so I'll keep on trying with the setup as is.

Jim, the shot was a single RAW exposure at 1/250 sec, ISO 100.

Assuming that's the 127 Mak I wouldn't restrict the aperture at all. I'd experiment with exposure times a bit though. Using a 127 Mak and 450D I use an exposure time of 1/1000th @ ISO100. The images to appear to be a little dark, but when I process them in PIPP to convert them to TIFF from RAW I also stretch the histogram.

James

Archived