Opinions or suggestions needed.

Hi all,

As my username suggests, I am completely new to this so your views would be appreciated...

I've been out in the garden with my bins for a little while now so an upgrade to my first proper scope is in order. However, my brain is about to explode with the choice and range of different scopes' that I need a little validation on my decision (or not as the case may be).

Right, I think I've settled on a Startravel 102. Reasons being is that storage space is a major issue. This will be resolved in a year or two when I move when I can upgrade to a bigger scope (thinking a dob) and the st102 will be relegated to my grab'n'go scope.

Would this be a decent starter or would you suggest something else? Budget around the £150-250 mark and would require it for general observing rather than specializing in one particular field or another (for now anyway)

Also the mounts...

Which would you recommend, The AZ type or EQ1 type? Both are similar in price. (I don't want a GOTO type yet as I'm finding it quite fun finding stuff myself and feel I'll learn more this way).

Thanks,

Kev

I'd suggest that a 150 or even a 200 Dob would actually be better to start , they have a much smaller 'footprint' than any tripod mounted scope and take up less space really.

Would be an idea to get down to the Widescreen Centre . . . http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/ . . . and have a look at them in the flesh so's to speak.

Hi Steve.

Storage space is a major issue so I need something I can pack away after use. I have a garden to view so erecting a mount isn't so much of a problem - it's just afterwards! I showed my wife the size of the Dob 200 and where I'd have to store it and to say she was unimpresed was an under-statement :Envy: so it will have to wait until I move house next year or so.

I am a novice too but can perhaps help a tiny bit having already purchased, so I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. The scope I have is one of the smaller dobs you can buy, it is light, around 6 kg, got a handle to carry it around very in one hand, it will easily fit in a cupboard, easy setup in minutes and no hassle to get going.

As Steve said, unless you have you own reason for wanting an EQ mount or any form of tripod, the dob is a good choice in terms of footprint.

Best of luck.

Aghhh!!!

Who thought choosing a telescope would be difficult???!!!

That Heritage model posted above seems to have missed my radar. I really didn'y know they were collapsable! Reasons for the ST102 was when finished I could take it apart and leave on a shelf out the way but that Dob seems to pack away quite nicely.

So questions,

Does it need a mount at all or will any stable surface do?

Is it genuinely transportable? Would you class it as a grab'n'go scope? (I'm refering to my first post where the ST102 would become my grab'n'go when I move and can have a bigger scope permanently at home).

Thankls again for all your suggestions...

Aghhh!!!

Who thought choosing a telescope would be difficult???!!!

That Heritage model posted above seems to have missed my radar. I really didn'y know they were collapsable! Reasons for the ST102 was when finished I could take it apart and leave on a shelf out the way but that Dob seems to pack away quite nicely.

So questions,

Does it need a mount at all or will any stable surface do?

Is it genuinely transportable? Would you class it as a grab'n'go scope? (I'm refering to my first post where the ST102 would become my grab'n'go when I move and can have a bigger scope permanently at home).

Thankls again for all your suggestions...

Does it need a mount at all or will any stable surface do?...............It is on a Dobsonian "Dob" mount already. Any stable surface will do. I place mine on the ground and use it from my wheelchair, but most able-bodied observers who use it prefer to put it on a patio table or similar so they can stand while observing. Either way is fine.

Is it genuinely transportable? Would you class it as a grab'n'go scope? (I'm refering to my first post where the ST102 would become my grab'n'go when I move and can have a bigger scope permanently at home).....................It is very transportable. If you have a car and want to take it to a dark site, just leave it in the box and take it for a drive. If you only want to use it at home in the garden, it can be carried fully assembled with one hand. For storage, in or out of the box, it takes up less room then the average small vacuum cleaner. I'm in a wheelchair and even i consider the Heritage as a truely "Grab n' Go" scope. It may be small but it is powerful for its size.

This is a great starter scope and takes up next to no storage space. It is a 5" aperture (with parabolic mirror).

http://www.firstligh...p-flextube.html

I think they're an absolute bargain!

You can pay £50 extra for a similar 'scope with a EQ mount if you're desperate, but I'm not sure why you'd bother!

Yes, definitely a grab and go 'scope and not one your ever likely to get rid of, for that very reason.

Even if you do upgrade to a larger dob in your new house, it would always be handy to have one that'll fit in with the luggage to take on holiday.

You might even get the Mrs. interested if it turns out to be a good summer.

Mine will come out for the odd quick look in winter, but in the summer, if I sit my etx90 on the garden table with an open bottle of wine and a couple of glasses she'll happily sit out and enjoy the fun!

What ever your decision, I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

I think they're an absolute bargain!

You can pay £50 extra for a similar 'scope with a EQ mount if you're desperate, but I'm not sure why you'd bother!

Yes, definitely a grab and go 'scope and not one your ever likely to get rid of, for that very reason.

Even if you do upgrade to a larger dob in your new house, it would always be handy to have one that'll fit in with the luggage to take on holiday.

You might even get the Mrs. interested if it turns out to be a good summer.

Mine will come out for the odd quick look in winter, but in the summer, if I sit my etx90 on the garden table with an open bottle of wine and a couple of glasses she'll happily sit out and enjoy the fun!

What ever your decision, I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

I agree. I have the Heritage and i also have an 8" SCT. The Heritage is my uuber "grab n' go" scope for those nights when i really dont want to take the 8" SCT out. The SCT to me is not exactly "grab n' go", but it is not far off of it.

I'll NEVER sell my Heritage.

I too own the heritage 130p flex, and can say that it is stable. Of course working at high magnification takes a little practice, but I've had it standing on a chair, my garden table and used magnification of ~ 200x last night on the moon and had no issue looking through it.

If there is a small criticism is the focuser is a screw thread type instead of the rack and pinion type that I would probably have preferred, as it has a fair amount of wobble when turning it at that sort of magnification, but once you have it in focus, and let the object move by no bother to me :). Of course EQ mounts will have fine adjustment for tracking etc. that I have no experience of I should add, but those that know about that sort of thing and used both would be able to comment better. It is often rare you would probably end up using that sort of extreme magnification anyway.

This is starting to sound good especially from fellow newbies. Looks like the Heritage is the way to go.

I've been out in the garden (which is paved) with a patio table thing and it seems quite stable with little or no wobble. This was a reason why I was erring towards a mount as each leg can be set to a slightly different length to account for any differences in paving height but it looks like I can get around this problem now.

Another daft question is do I need to cover the exposed bits when fully deployed or is it unneccessary? Bearing in mind I live in a high light pollution area (london).

Thanks again for the sterling advise. Prepare yourselves for more daft questions as I think of them! :grin:

Another vote for the Heritage 130p. I was in a similar position a couple of months ago. The number of people (as you can see already in this thread) practically raved about the 130p. All I can say is if you have a astronomy shop nearby go have a look at it and see how small it collapses to. It's so quickly is unpacked, setup and stargazing (under 5min) that grab n go describes it perfectly.

I think the Heritage 130P is great value for money. It has a few small niggles but then most scopes do, especially at the cheaper end of the market. A shroud is no bother to make if you decide you need one -- camping mat and self-adhesive velcro will do the job if necessary.

James

Anyone that has used the Heritage, the only real issue we have is the focuser. Its not bad but it aint great. Its fine though REALLY.

A shroud is easily made with a camping mat and velcro or tape (cost less then a tenner). Because it is a "Dob", it does not need a perfectly flat surace to use with. Its not like you are trying to align an EQ mount.

The Heritage is good if you need extreme portability. If you don't, then a more conventional 6" Dob might serve you better (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html). A 6" Dob is still grab and go. The focal ratio is substantially larger (almost f/8), which means you'll get significantly sharper views around the edges of the field, it'll also have more lax collimation tolerances than an f/5. It's also easier to mount accessories to a larger tube, should you want to do that. So each scope has its advantages, it all depends what you want.

The Heritage is good if you need extreme portability. If you don't, then a more conventional 6" Dob might serve you better (http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html). A 6" Dob is still grab and go. The focal ratio is substantially larger (almost f/8), which means you'll get significantly sharper views around the edges of the field, it'll also have more lax collimation tolerances than an f/5. It's also easier to mount accessories to a larger tube, should you want to do that. So each scope has its advantages, it all depends what you want.

Going by price I was not that keen on 6 inch but each to their own budget I guess, I did consider it myself initially too , I appreciate the focal length argument though and what that brings, indeed in my 6mm the very out edges are not quite as sharp, but it is only very minor I'd say and only just at the very outer edges, and that has a 66 degree FOV.

Seems quite a price jump looking at scopes n skies, of course you are getting a scope that does not need a table or chair in the 6 inch as well, but going from 5.12 inch to 6 inch almost 70 pounds, then going from 6 to 8 inch another 60 quid. In any case, had I been a richer person I may have gone for the 8 inch perhaps or still perhaps settled for what I got anyway.

My simple aperture argument is not the whole story I know, but the initial outlay I was not prepared to put in just in case I would not take to the hobby, and it turned out to be a waste of money. Luckily it turned out to be the case it wasn't wasted money for me :)

The 130p Heritage I see as the kind of Clarkson's reasonably priced car, perhaps harder to drive at the limit given the shorter focal length but easy to use and set a lap in for anyone :D

Archived