NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windy Saturn May 22nd

Despite the wind i got a reasonable image or 2 after having some hardware issues with the cameras losing contact with my netbook not sure if this was a driver or cable issue but need to do some tests. Anyhow after 45 mins of frustration got some avis using colour and IR.

This was first light with my new 3x tv barlow and 6" primary fan (cheapo laptop usb fan).

Below are a colour and colour/IR image using both QHY cams. Transparency was excellent making 50fps possible with 100% gain.

Straight colour :

gallery_4016_412_29374.png

Colour/IR

gallery_4016_412_13426.png

Thanks Simon. Not much in it really, in fact I reckon the colour shot has more globe detail but the IR always produces better rings. The colour image was a 3 min avi when seeing was probably the best of the night and just a few mins later when I took the IR seeing had fallen off somewhat.

My plan was to take a colour avi followed by IR and another colour then combine the 2 colour stacks in winjup to produce a colour image with the same capture time as the IR (to prevent derotation artifacts) and split into RGB channels to then add the IR as the luminance but the resulting image is very noisy which is puzzling. So at the moment I'm sticking with the 50/50 IR/Colour combo (shown above).

Here is a 1.5x drizzle version of the above colour shot (85% scale) :

gallery_4016_412_20780.png

Very nice images especially considering the conditions and your hardware problems. I assume they were captured on the 250 dob? I love the fact that you can get the northern storm with a relatively small aperture.

Oh for a clear sky!

Archived