Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it a rip-off or I just don't get it?

emadmoussa

Fair enough, Mel.

There are obviously cheaper options out there if you have the time to dig. But for me, well, the last thing I want to do these days is fiddle with a bunch of bolts. I barely have time to scratch my head really :D

Having read the threads above, I'm starting to accept the fact that while there are limited options, a £55 bolts set is a plunge that needed to be taken. And again, it's not the money -- I'm sure a lot of people will think...well...whatever - if it's meant to protect my mount, then so be it...money well spent. It pays off in the long run I suppose. Having said that, I'm sure a lot of us here don't like to feel exploited simply because there aren't many other options. Oh, the niche market of astro gear...!!!

You know, I'm real sorry but I can not understand this point of view. From your sig I see that you have a lot of Skywatcher products. Ask anybody who has been doing astronomy for a long time and they will all tell you how great a bargain you have in comparison to what they were spending in the 60's 70's and 80's to get equivalent products.

Many of us would have nowhere as much kit if it was not for the Chinese. Exploited! more like fortunate. Many people would have watched Brian Cox and thought if only I could afford a telescope.

I make stuff by hand for my living. Some people almost laugh at my price on occasion or compare my product to a mass produced eastern import and do nothing other than waste my time, most understand that what they are getting is a purpose made quality product and can appreciate the costs involved in producing a quality item. A niche market does not mean a free licence to print money.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I'm real sorry but I can not understand this point of view. From your sig I see that you have a lot of Skywatcher products. Ask anybody who has been doing astronomy for a long time and they will all tell you how great a bargain you have in comparison to what they were spending in the 60's 70's and 80's to get equivalent products.

Many of us would have nowhere as much kit if it was not for the Chinese. Exploited! more like fortunate. Many people would have watched Brian Cox and thought if only I could afford a telescope.

I make stuff by hand for my living. Some people almost laugh at my price on occasion or compare my product to a mass produced eastern import and do nothing other than waste my time, most understand that what they are getting is a purpose made quality product and can appreciate the costs involved in producing a quality item. A niche market does not mean a free licence to print money.

Who's talking about Skywatcher products? I do agree, in comparison, they're reasonably priced and good quality and I really love Skywatcher. I meant the bolts...not scopes or mounts.

Too True.

I still have a catalogue from Astronomical Equipment of Luton dating about 1970. A 6" F/8 telescope with a basic EQ head and tripod was priced about £65. Eyepieces extra. I don't think that I was earning more than about £100 per month at that time. That would equate to somewhere in the region of £1000 at today's average wage.

Nigel

This is what i have done to my mount.

I found the bolts in the shed.10mm

is what you need.They fit a lot better,

than the original ones.

Steve.

That's pretty much what I have in the observatory mount mount right now. A 10.9 grade M10 x 100 bolt and an 17mm ring spanner kept handy on the obsy pier. Never that much adjusting to do but big spanner makes it easy. I'm still going to mod the mount though- there's too much load on a single M10 bolt......

Dscf6832_1024_zps69cd5360.jpg

The spanner, hex headed bolts are ok for an obs......they wouldb be a massive pain if your mobile......one more thing to lose or forget.

Cost of astro gear...a mere pittance these days. I remember peering into a shop round Barbican in London back in the early 80s and even though I was on a good wedge back then the prices were something painful.....even on a monster whack I couldnt have afforded the sort of gear I have now on a far more modest income. A GoTo mount, 8" Parabolic mirror with dual speed focuser would have been the preserve of a prfessional observatory or the extremely well heeled.

I did a calculation on what my Unitron 3" achro on an Alt Az mountnwould cost in todays money and it was scary....from memory about three grand. Imagine having to pay that for a Celestron 60mm achro telescope today on a basic mount :(

Back in the 70s a telescope like the Unitron cost probably about as much as a brand new car.

I can and do understand all the points made in this thread... But seriously, surely Skywatcher must have some responsibility to realise that the design isn't going to work on latitudes much above 30 degrees... Just look at it as an engineer :D its bloomin appalling !

Also, whilst I agree that Astro gear has plummeted in price, the alt/ax bolts can hardly be described as Astro gear. Obviously when you put them in a mount they are, but up until then they're just some £55 bolts.

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

I do know the person who makes these and seen him do it.

They are in fact profiled in the lathe,cut to the correct length,cleaned tested that the thread runs and one or 2 more details that he probably would not like me to divulge.

He is a perfectionist, they take time and effort as well as the costs involved, and a some have pointed out he does need to make something out of it as its part his source of income.

Steve

I do know the person who makes these and seen him do it.

They are in fact profiled in the lathe,cut to the correct length,cleaned tested that the thread runs and one or 2 more details that he probably would not like me to divulge.

He is a perfectionist, they take time and effort as well as the costs involved, and a some have pointed out he does need to make something out of it as its part his source of income.

Steve

All excellent points!

good luck to him... :D

Archived