NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light Pollution

Caz

At the moment I am extremely annoyed, I can't express my annoyance enough, but basically I'm P***ed off.  I mentioned a situation sometime back regarding a security light that my neighbour placed in her back garden, which happens to come on EVERYTIME when I go out in mine, I walk no more than a couple of feet outside, and PING its on.  Now as all you astronomers will appreciate this can be a right pain in the Bottom.  I have had a word with thy neighbour about this, but as I expected its fell on deaf ears, as I knew it would...... :x

So tonight, whilst out observing as you do, I decided I would be a little bit naughty, and make the blasted light switch on and off, on and off.....on and off.....you get the idea??  Eventually I did get a reaction after about 3/4 hour, the daughter comes out, tuts, then goes back inside and slams the door, I mean slams the door.  Good, now she knows how I feel.  At least I got a reaction, I know its not the right way to deal with the situation, but it made me feel better.

Anyway, sorry to waffle, I have some news about LIGHT POLLUTION from my local mp, and it reads, and I quote:

Lighting is an issue, which concerns three Government Departments.  The office of the Deputy Prime Minister is responsible for lighting within a planning regime, the department for transport is responsible for street lighting, and DEFRA is responsible for nuisance lighting from premises.

The issue of light pollution was explicitly addressed in the 1998 Transport White Paper – A deal for transport – Better for everyone – which states that ‘where lighting is essential, it should be designed in such a way that nuisance is reduced and the effect on the night sky in the countryside is minimised’.  In response, the highways Agency is now using lighting that focuses more of the light onto the road surface.

Whilst the courts have ruled that lighting itself is not ‘development’, planning permission is required for lighting if it alters the material appearance of a building.  Furthermore, since 1997 lighting can be considered as part of the planning for new buildings, and this applies to residential as well as commercial premises.  In 1997 the government issued Lighting in the countryside: Towards good practice.  This document continues to be a valuable guide for local authorities, highway engineers, and members of the public.  It demonstrates what can be done to lessen the adverse effects of external lighting, including security light and street lighting.  The advice within it is applicable in towns as well as the countryside.  New lighting must adhere to the original planning permission of the building, should the local authority decide to regulate lighting under planning permission.

The clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Bill received Royal assent on 7th April, and once section 102 of the clean neighbourhoods and environment Act 2005 is commenced in the spring of 2006, it will be the duty of the local authority, under section 79 of the environmental protection act 1990, to take reasonably practicable steps to investigate complaints of  ‘artificial light emitted from premises as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance’.  If satisfied that a statutory nuisance is present, the local authority will serve an abatement notice, requiring the activity cease or be reduced to a practicable level.  The fine for non-compliance to an abatement notice will be a maximum of £5000 for domestic premises, and £20,000 for industrial, trade and business premises upon summary conviction.  Guidance to aid local authorities in using the new legislation has been published for public consultation.

As a final point, the parliamentary select committee on Science and Technology began an enquiry into light pollution ands astronomy on 9th June 2003.  The committee considered the effectiveness of measures taken to reduce the impact of light pollution on astronomy and what further steps, if any are required.  Government published its response to the enquiry on 18 Dec 2003.

So take from that what you will, and hope some of it is implimented.

Make up an 8' x 8' poster of the Teletubbies, or Spongebob Squarepants, and stand it in your yard in such a postition as to cast a shadow across the area where you are standing, using your scope. This with the picture facing your neighbour, of course. After seeing it a few times, your neighbour will turn her light off so she doesn't have to look at the damned thing any more. Of course, you should make it lightweight and folding, so you can remove it when you are not observing. You can do the art yourself. It doesn't have to be good.

I know how your feeling. The house over the back from me must be rented, the new person will insist on switching on the 3 external wall lights & leave them on all blumming night!!!. And this is happening 8 out of 10 nights!!. The back of my house is lit up!!!

Git!

WH Smith sells the magazine, or go here

I think it's April it comes into effect, but it covers nuisance lighting, and your neighbours would most certainly be a nuisance!

I've seen an article somewhere, I'll dig it out, but in the meantime I would suggest:

1) Keep a log of communication between you and your neighbour.

2) Make measurements on how near to the boundary you have to be before the light comes on

3) Knock on the door and talk to her again (BE POLITE - log it)

4) If this does not work, write a letter (BE POLITE - log it)

5) If this does not work, write another letter (BE POLITE - log it - check your facts) and point out that it will be against the law come April.

Always, always, always be polite. I know this is easier to say than do, but if you lose your temper, you have lost. Let them lose theirs - it's works in your favour should it go to court!

Best of luck

Maybe, and I know it's a big maybe, you could offer to show her a view through your scope. I think that Saturn may well posess the ability to warm the coldest of hearts, and penetrate the thickest of skins.

And if all else fails - Give me a shout, I have an air-rifle and I'm not a bad shot!!! :nono: :clouds2:

There's another route you could take but involves money, there are some low light security lights available on the Market that don't send up as much Light pollution to the sky hence you could offer to replace there laser canon with one of these. From what i have read they work quite well in reducing the LP. If you are on good terms with your neighbours then you could suggest some for of shield to be placed on there laser canon to direct the light better..

James

Archived