Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possible improvements to NEQ6 mounting on pier and PA adjustments.

Gina

My EQ3-2 has a similar gouge, but even worse. I thought I had some photos somewhere, but I can't find them at the moment.

James

Maybe you've done more PA than me - my mount has spent most of it's life on the pier.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked the alignment of the gouged hole with the threaded hole in the body and found it didn't line up. I was able to see the linre-up by shining a light into the cavity through a gap in the casting. I also found the bolt was slightly bent but not enough to stop me getting it out, though a bit tight at the bend. I checked the bent bolt in the other side and found the bend was well outside of the casting so I can simply swap the bolts over and reuse them. I think with the modification, the original bolts will be alright.

As a result I didn't use the hollow as a guide but assembled the mount, set up the altitude and then used a drill bit a bit smaller than the threaded hole with some tape wrapped round to fit the threads without damaging them and carefully drilled into the aluminium lug in the right place. I then used a bigger drill bit to open up the hole to larger than the end of the adjustment bolt - to allow for adjustment of the altitude. I found the aluminium casting very easy to drill so it's no wonder the bolt end can make a hole in it. Also, the bolts must be very soft to bend like that with just hand tightening! :(

Here are a couple of photos. The second one shows the hole viewed in the direction of the bolt.

post-13131-0-80887500-1368535985_thumb.j post-13131-0-88811500-1368535987_thumb.j

I think once the centre of the bolt pressing on the casting is found, i would drill a hole and thread the hole then insert some studding, the end of the studding having a indent for the bolt to push into the end that comes out the other side a lock nut to stop the stud from moving, i would think ½" or 12mm studding would do. and replace the bolt with a high tensile type with a Allen Key head for adjustment....

I think once the centre of the bolt pressing on the casting is found, i would drill a hole and thread the hole then insert some studding, the end of the studding having a indent for the bolt to push into the end that comes out the other side a lock nut to stop the stud from moving, i would think ½" or 12mm studding would do. and replace the bolt with a high tensile type with a Allen Key head for adjustment....

The other alt bolt bears on the lock-nut side, at a different angle.

James

... but the real improvement will be from having the grub screws just tight enough and not screwed in by King-Kong!! :)

This is definitely a simple but very effective way of making the altitude adjustments easier to perform, particularly if you replace the grub screws with M5*20 socket cap bolts or similar (as shown in the one of the posts you referred to earlier). This allows you to ease off the pressure plate during adjustment then tighten up again after.

Gina while you have it stripped can you get the thread size and length are the bendy bolt i may invest in replacements............

M10 x 95mm

post-13131-0-19812200-1368544504_thumb.j

This is definitely a simple but very effective way of making the altitude adjustments easier to perform, particularly if you replace the grub screws with M5*20 socket cap bolts or similar (as shown in the one of the posts you referred to earlier). This allows you to ease off the pressure plate during adjustment then tighten up again after.

Yes, I thought of doing this :) Or I could just leave the grub screws and use the 2.5mm allen key though I think I may already have some M5x20 socket head bolts. I agree that freeing off a bit to adjust then tightening up when done does seem the way to go :)

I don't really think this extra complication is needed but thanks for the suggestion :)

I think that should help. Shame the bolts are bent already :(

James

Only the original "up" bolt is bent - the "down" or locking bolt is still straight :) Also, as I said above the bend in the "up" bolt is only slight and when used as the down/lock bolt, the bend is outside the casting and no problem.

Yes, I thought of doing this :) Or I could just leave the grub screws and use the 2.5mm allen key though I think I may already have some M5x20 socket head bolts. I agree that freeing off a bit to adjust then tightening up when done does seem the way to go :)

Whether you stick with the grub screws or replace with something else just boils down to aesthetics, in how you want that part of the mount to look. When you removed the cover with the latitude scale, did you manage to keep it intact or did it shatter into pieces? Some folks are lucky others aren't when removing it. Mine was a bit worse for wear by the time I'd prised it off so I replaced it with a bit of cheap and cheerful laminated cardboard and had the socket head bolts poking through. Others like Kev have made some very professional looking replacements.

I got the covers off almost intact, just leaving a few small pieces round the edge on the mount. They could be glued back on with just a few cracks showing. Whether it's worth bothering I'm not sure. I think if I put the cover with the lattitude scale back on I think I'll drill 3 holes to access the grub screws or for M5 bolts.

I got the covers off almost intact, just leaving a few small pieces round the edge on the mount. They could be glued back on with just a few cracks showing. Whether it's worth bothering I'm not sure. I think if I put the cover with the lattitude scale back on I think I'll drill 3 holes to access the grub screws or for M5 bolts.

Here's another example from the Cloudy Nights forum: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5109751/Main/#5108077

There are these might look nice poking out of the cover,,,,,,,

http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/M5_KNURLER_THUMB_SCREWS_H_T_464-1.html

Humped the mount back into the obsy this morning but nut yet onto the pier.

I've been looking at the geometry of the altitude PA adjustment. At a guess I would say the distance from axis of adjuster bolt to axis of pivot bolt is about 40mm. Thread pitch is 1.5mm so 360 degrees of adjuster is 1.5mm at 40mm. So the altitude angle A is given by tan A = 1.5/40 = 0.0375. That's just over 2 degrees. So each degree of altitude corresponds to about 180 degrees turn of the adjuster screw. So we now have a much better idea of how much to turn the adjuster than just try-it-and-see :)

Just checked the azimuth adjustment as well (for completeness). Centre to post = 43mm. Which gives 2 degrees virtually exactly, per turn of the az knobs. So again, 180 degrees per degree of adjustment. If dials were attached to the adjustment bolts you could get pretty close after the first measurement :D Of course, with stepper motors, timing belts and pulleys you could pretty much automate the job :D

NO I'm not going that far.

Archived