Well finally did it!...

ezekiel

Want to say a big hi to everyone, I been facinated by space for as long as I can remember and so I made the leap today and bought myself a 'scope', a skywatcher 150p, ive read up a fair bit and this looks like a really good scope for the money, I would obviously like to see planets and detailed images of the moon, but I have my eyes open and would like to see anything and everything (skys permitting!), lucky enough I have a close friend that has been into this for a number of years and im able to ab along and pick up as much as poss, any general tips?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing...

You'll get loads of disappointment in the beginning. Don't give up, it only gets better. Steep learning curve especially if you want to do astro-photography.

Apart from that, it's a fantastic hobby.

Are you ready to empty your pockets? :D

Best of luck!!

yeah I can imagine its a steep learning curve lol but ill try to take as much as poss in, and just enjoy....would love to do alittle photography at somepoint, but one step at a time :D

First things first, that's a great choice of telescope. It really is a great all rounder that will work for planets/lunar but also show you many DSOs as well. Best advice I can give is to download a copy of 'stellarium'. It's a free virtual planetarium and will give you a great idea of everything that's 'up there' and where it is... here's the link http://stellarium.org/ ... enjoy!

Hi ezekiel and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your first scope and the size of aperture (150mm) will certainly capture enough light to help you resolve plenty of detail on many celestial objects. Regarding further advice, I would suggest that you download "Stellarium" because its free, easy to use and has plenty of features to keep you entertained! In addition, you might want to consider buying a book called, "Turn Left at Orion" which will provide you the necessary information, instructions and maps to help you find some 100 objects which have been divided into our four seasons. Take a look here to see the layout of this book and I'm sure you will agree that it is really user friendly which might help explains why it is so popular among many of us here.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hello everyone! I just moved to Avondale Arizona, and don't really know anyone, not that when I lived in California any of my friends wanted to go stargazing with me any way -_- ..... But that's why I joined this forum! To hopefully meet some cool people I could share my interest and maybe join a few star parties !! I just went last night by myself to the middle of nowhere in a mountain called tahnto or something and I have to tell you, it's not fun sitting out there alone in the middle of nowhere with your eyes in a pair of bionoculars 0_o every one of my instincts are telling me to keep looking for something that's going to eat me lol!!!

anyway please reply. OR IM if in AZ look forward to meeting you guys and gal's

thanks martin, unfortunatly theres a sodium street light right by my back garden :( but I live right on the north coast of cornwall, got a great secluded beach car park about 2 mins away, so ill throw it in the back of the car (carefully) and take a drive :D

Hello Ezekiel - welcome to SGL. The 150P is a great scope, but like others have said before, take your time and learn to enjoy the night sky and don't be too dissapointed at first - wishing you Clear Skies

Hi there 'intelligent design' and welcome also to the forum. Many of the folk on here are based in the U.K but we have many friends here also from the U.S who might be able to meet up with you if you put out a request in the Astro Lounge.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

thanks, I had a look around a differant sites but settled on this one as the information seems to be straight to the point and out of all the posts I read everyone seems real friendly and keen....one of the main reasons I bought 150p scope actually....

Haha exactly, Saturday is looking like a nice day down here so fingers crossed my scope will be delivered in time for a good viewing..think I've just jinxed it even further ><

Archived