Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Sites?

The Brecon Beacons has darkish skies but is a bit too close to 'The Valleys' on the all important Southern horizon. If you can travel further north into Mid Wales then you will get much darker skies. The Elan Valley area has much to offer for the astronomer. Check out this Light Pollution map of Wales for ideas of where to go:BirminghamvsWales.jpg

Hi Matt - you'd be welcome to join us at Blaenavon which is just on the edge of the Beacons National park - we're a really friendly bunch and always look forward to meeting new members. Heres the bad news though - I believe the meets are on a summer recess now as the sky never really gets dark enough until stupid o clock though perhaps Pat or Matt can correct me. Why don't you check out the S Wales Group in the Social Groups section for more info - theres a post by Rhys Hardwick that lists observing sites in the area though if its your first time out you might want to take some company with you or at least scout the area out in the light before you decide to get going. Living just outside Brecon you won't have to travel too far for amazing skies- good luck anyway and hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up if you can make it to Blaenavon in the Autumn.

Steve

Matt you,d be more than welcome. I can see you've posted on the south Wales group, just keep your eye open for the next meet though I suspect it may not be until we start again in earnest in the autumn. Its a very friendly and informal group, we've even got our second annual star party being arranged for brecon in October I FD you fancy a night or two away...check out the threads on the groups page. Welcome on board.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

challenge and learning is what this hobby is all about (and spending possibly) but I can't think of anywhere better to start Matt - ask any question you like- there are some really knowledgable and helpful people on this forum all willing to help.

Speaking from personal experience- I only really started just over a year or so ago myself - the one single best decision I made in starting this hobby was signing up to SGL - I've learned so much and made so many new friends - welcome on board.

There you go matt a meet at blaenavon on 1st June if your interested. I've packed my gear away for the year so unfortunately won't be there but they are a great bunch,I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived