Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what ep would you reccomend for my collection

as title realy was thinking to plug the gap between mi 16mm uwan and my 28mm uwan or would i be better of going between my 28mm and my 40mm. i like/love all objects in the sky and think my high power eps are covered. was looking at the 55mm tv plossl thats a good price, also looked at the 20mm pentax.havnt got a budget in mind so just fire away, also thinking the e.p has to cover faster scopes for the future. thanks regards mike

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike - just fyi my 24mm Panoptic works very nicely in both the 925 and my f-5 dob - it could be an interesting candidate for you :)

what a good start with you being the first reply kim.of course you would no using it on both ends of the focal length speed thanks kim.

How about a TV 31mmT5? I know its a heavy old beast but it works well in my 800, so should work a treat with your 9.25. I was lucky enough to buy a mint second hand one off A&B.

I had a play with both 24mm and 19mm panoptics at the weekend and would have to say they were beautiful eyepieces to use (thanks to Fiery Jack). The 24mm was like a portal, I could hardly see the field stop, magnificent, as was the 19mm. Pure class.

There are many who would say the 24mm Panoptic is one of the best mid focal length 1.25" EPs available, and having used one for the first time over the weekend, I can see where they are coming from. Tempted to buy one myself.

There are many who would say the 24mm Panoptic is one of the best mid focal length 1.25" EPs available, and having used one for the first time over the weekend, I can see where they are coming from. Tempted to buy one myself.

Me to, definitely one for the future when funds allow. I prefered the views through the Pan to the Nags which surprised me. In some way the view seemed closer to my eye with the Pans very immersive and the Nag more distant.

I use a Pentax XW 30mm and a Baader Aspheric 36mm and to me while the Pentax is little bit more powerful what ever i can see look through it, i can also see in the 36mm Baader but slightly smaller and as sharp right to the last 2% of the outer edge, so its really down to how much money you want to throw at a EP £455 or £140 in my case i like both all the other EP's all ready mentioned in this thread have the merits but in the upper end of the price range there all going to be good in one scope or another.....

Just my opinion of course, but it looks like you've got the wide sky covered pretty well faulksy :cool: so how about something around 200x, 11 - 13mm? A nice planetary, if you like that kind of thing :D

Hi Mike - just fyi my 24mm Panoptic works very nicely in both the 925 and my f-5 dob - it could be an interesting candidate for you :)
this sounds good forgot I had my image amplifier so then I would have a 12 as well

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

Just my opinion of course, but it looks like you've got the wide sky covered pretty well faulksy :cool: so how about something around 200x, 11 - 13mm? A nice planetary, if you like that kind of thing :D
thanks dunkster sounds good, but like brantuk said the pan 24 then I can Barlow it 2x then have a 12

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

thanks dunkster sounds good, but like brantuk said the pan 24 then I can Barlow it 2x then have a 12

24 Pan is a beauty, pin sharp in my little 'frac and little cat, can't imagine it'd be any less spectacular in your 9.25 :cool:

The 24mm panoptic is a beauty, one of my very favourites.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far the Meade 24mm SWA is also very nice, and was an absolute bargain when they went on end of line sale. They turn up used from time to time so worth hunting around, the 20mm SWA is also nice.

edit: the SWA clones look good too if they're up to the same standards as the Meade ones.

theres a 22mm pan on astro b&s , not a mega steal price ,but still cheaper than new i suppose. that would be okay doubled to 11 wouldnt it.

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=69247

id still be tempted by the es/meade swa clones for fraction of the price . in fact i WAS tempted, i bought the 16 and 24 , waiting for delivery .

thanks rory good price and a saving of £75 and it would double well

The 24mm panoptic is a beauty, one of my very favourites.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far the Meade 24mm SWA is also very nice, and was an absolute bargain when they went on end of line sale. They turn up used from time to time so worth hunting around, the 20mm SWA is also nice.

edit: the SWA clones look good too if they're up to the same standards as the Meade ones.

alan potts has a meade 24mm for sale, a bit tempted but then I would always wonder if the pan would be a lot better

alan potts has a meade 24mm for sale, a bit tempted but then I would always wonder if the pan would be a lot better

The Pan is better, but personally I wouldn't say it was a lot better, it's really into the last tenths of performance (plus I prefer the design of the Pan too, the Meade giant twist eyecup has never really been my favourite although it's effective enough). If money was not an issue i'd have the Pan any day, but it is and i'm not unhappy with the Meade - certainly not unhappy enough to pay the extra.

But it's very much a personal view though, it's hard to talk absolutes with eyepieces as we all have our particular preferences and a non-issue for one is a show-stopper for another. If you can find both used then it's quite fun to get hold of the two of them and do your own personal test, then keep the one you prefer - you'll not be out much more than postage at the end of the day, eyepieces are pretty quick to sell again.

hi ben thanks for that, eps are so hard to choose especialy when you start on premium scales. think I will go with the pan, but would prefer a nagler :confused:

You already have 2 Nirvana's so you will have experienced 95% of Nagler performance. I guess the question is, do you want the same experience in the 20mm niche ?

Your 16mm Nirvana will show almost as much sky as the 22 Panoptic does - the Pan might not get a lot of use in practice.

You already have 2 Nirvana's so you will have experienced 95% of Nagler performance. I guess the question is, do you want the same experience in the 20mm niche ?

Your 16mm Nirvana will show almost as much sky as the 22 Panoptic does - the Pan might not get a lot of use in practice.

so what would you recommend john ?

Archived