SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ES 68deg 16mm Eyepieces

Does anyone have any experience with these EPs? The specification on the ES website seems to suggest limited eye relief (approx 12 mm). I would also be interested to know how big the eye lens is. And of course the overall optical quality. :smiley:

Thanks,

Mark.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the meade 68 deg 16mm - similar optically to the ES version. Optically a lovely lens - but forget the ES quoted relief figures as the way both are designed the usable figure is in the region of 8 to 9mm - so tight. Looking at your sig i'd say a bit less than your 15 plossl in practice and you are trying to see the whole of a 68 deg field. Having pointed out the shortcomings, if one came up i'd still consider another !

andrew

From my experience of owning the Meade version (the unbranded version is an absolute snap from ES at €59 here) the optical quality is genuinely world-class - really up there with the best. It's quite an exceptional eyepiece. The eye-relief was however, a little too tight for me, so I let it go in the end.

A very fine eyepiece all the same...

what a bargain, 59 euros for an eyepiece 68 degree good to edge on F5. bargain!

These look like they're designed for non F5 scopes though given the range is only displayed down to 16mm and goes right up past 40mm. That looks like theyre designed for long focal length scopes to me.

the maxvisions look like a limited run to me, they wont be around forever at that price i suspect.

They i guess were the meade model and now ES to compete with TV Panoptic - i imagine there is a design limitation which prevents them being made in shorter lengts - less than 15mm in the Pan case. I found them to be of a higher quality over the more vaunted 82 series. They have a great range here, thanks for the link great_bear.Telescopes, Eyepieces and Telescope Mounts

andrew

what a bargain, 59 euros for an eyepiece 68 degree good to edge on F5. bargain!

These look like they're designed for non F5 scopes though given the range is only displayed down to 16mm and goes right up past 40mm. That looks like theyre designed for long focal length scopes to me.

Not at all - they work excellently in F5 scopes - the range stops simply because the design doesn't scale below 16mm.

let us know how it is Dave. Have you got anything close to it to compare it to?

Not really. Having just started the box of shiny things is 8mm and 25mm BSTs, 32mm Revelation, 7mm TV nagler and the standard Skywatcher things that came with the scope. Hoping this makes a nice midrange EP. I was thinking of the 14mm ES for the 82 FOV, but this seems like it would be well worth a shot. When it arrives and the skys clear I'll have a go at a review!

The interesting bit is the bit about coming from a cancelled order. Meade US couldn't pay it's bill?

Pure speculation on my part, but if so and it is a straight Meade EP with a different logo, then they're a screaming bargain. I was thinking about picking up an ES68 20 or 24mm to fit my 1.25" Lunt Wedge, but now I'm going to have to consider these seriously.

Russell

Ah! Stuff it! Bought the 24mm.

Russell

Shiny things! Kinda hard to resist aren't they? Now I'm looking at the 28 or 34 wondering if they might replace the 32 Revelation I seems to use most.

Shiny things! Kinda hard to resist aren't they? Now I'm looking at the 28 or 34 wondering if they might replace the 32 Revelation I seems to use most.

I have the ES 28mm 68° and it's a peach :)

Might be worth stating here, the longer length are pretty heavy. I had the 34mm which was again a lovely lens but weighed in at around 800 g and the 40 is even bigger! I sold it as i prefer to use lightish eyepieces. It was however, far superior to the hyperion 31mm aspheric i had.

andrew

The longer focal lengths may be large but the 16mm is dinky. I have the latest Argon filled version costing somewhat more than this unbranded one, which looks a steal. It has a very flat field which (like the 24mm) is sharp from edge to edge. It is also small and light in weight - definitely my preferred sort of engineering! The eye lens is sunk quite deeply in the housing which leaves it marginal on eye relief for me. It is however easier to use than the ES 82* 14mm, whatever the specifications may say and has a very similar true field of view. Olly Penrice has written kindly about the Meade version here:

If these are a direct result of an order cancellation by Meade they are all very good eyepieces, I had the whole set up until last year, there is not a weak link in the chain in my view.I think the 24mm is superb and I was also very fond of the 28mm. I did spend a great deal of time comparing the 34mm with my 35mm Panoptic and there is not much in it, believe me.

Alan.

If these are a direct result of an order cancellation by Meade they are all very good eyepieces, I had the whole set up until last year, there is not a weak link in the chain in my view.I think the 24mm is superb and I was also very fond of the 28mm. I did spend a great deal of time comparing the 34mm with my 35mm Panoptic and there is not much in it, believe me.

Alan.

Archived