Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opticron 16 x 80 binoculars

KatieM

Hi Katie,i`ve had a pair for 3 yrs and would not change them,they are superb,you will no be disapointed,very good on all astro targets,the build quality is excellent,aftersales sevice from Opticron is among the very best.

Hope this helps :laugh:

Regards

Mike

I might be wrong, but aren't these Vixen-built? They look near identical:

Opticron:

http://opticronbinoculars.blogspot.nl/2012_05_01_archive.html

Vixen:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2807

These can both be tripod-mounted, and the weight of a "mere" 2.5kg they could be hand held for a short while, just like my Helios Apollo 15x70 (weighs the same). I must when i was in Japan I was sorely tempted by the Vixen (which went for a fraction of the price in the Netherlands).

Katie - the WP Observation 16x80 has a built-in tripod mount bar with a standard 1/4" screw thread on the base. As such you don't need an additional tripod adaptor (unless your tripod has a 3/8" screw of course).

Cheers, Pete

I might be wrong, but aren't these Vixen-built? They look near identical:

Opticron:

http://opticronbinoc...01_archive.html

Vixen:

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2807

These can both be tripod-mounted, and the weight of a "mere" 2.5kg they could be hand held for a short while, just like my Helios Apollo 15x70 (weighs the same). I must when i was in Japan I was sorely tempted by the Vixen (which went for a fraction of the price in the Netherlands).

They do look the same. However i dont think they are Vixen built. They are most likely mass produced in China and individually branded by companies.

My 20x90 Strathspeys are identical to Oberworks. Made in the same factory but branded by the individual companies.

I'm not sure i'd like to handhold a set of 16x80 (2.5Kg) for too long. My 20x90 weigh 3.2 Kg and they need a tripod.

They do look the same. However i dont think they are Vixen built. They are most likely mass produced in China and individually branded by companies.

The Opticron WP Observation binoculars are most certainly not "mass produced in China"! They are 100% made in Japan.

Katie - the sponsors of SGL, First Light Optics, will be happy to suppy you I'm sure.

Cheers, Pete

My 20x90 Strathspeys are identical to Oberworks. Made in the same factory but branded by the individual companies.

I'm not sure i'd like to handhold a set of 16x80 (2.5Kg) for too long. My 20x90 weigh 3.2 Kg and they need a tripod.

Vixen tends to make its own stuff, and they make them for others as well. I had a pair of these Vixen in my hands at the Yodabashi Akiba store, and they are easily in the same league as my Helios Apollo (Chinese, BTW) in terms of build quality (did get to do a thorough optical test). They had "Made in Japan" stamped on them if I recall correctly. Being made from lightweight aluminium alloy, they are surprisingly light, despite being built like a tank (built like a Scorpion tank, maybe?). I hand-hold my 2.4 kg 15x70s for quite some time, although a mount is more stable.

I am now the proud owner of a pair of Opticron 16 x 80 bimoculars and I love them. Not had much chance to use them as yet. However I have looked at the moon and Saturn through them and am amazed at the clarity and sharpness of the view! Should have got these years ago!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It was very useful!

However I have looked at the moon and Saturn through them and am amazed at the clarity and sharpness of the view!

Can I ask you, what sort of image does Saturn give you through these Binoculars.

Archived