NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Aligning question

After you polar align, how do you observe objects to the south horizon? I have a CG-3 mount and was thinking about this last night while looking at Saturn to the south last night. If i was to say, i believe its not possible with my mount, but i could be completely wrong. Sorry for this simple question.

I would like to get longer exposures with my camera through my telescope looking to the south, but not sure how to do this after its polar aligned.

I doubt if this would be particularly accurate as the Moon's movement is very complex compared to the stars. The Moon moves backwards relative to the apparent motion of the stars and also moves up or down in declination depending on the lunar cycle. :smiley:

If you are just using the mount to track visually, you don't need a spot on polar alignment. You can be a few degrees out. If you don't have a clear view of Polaris, then you can get a rough polar alignment by just aligning your RA axis north snd setting the altitude to your latitude.

Don't be afraid of EQ mounts, they are pretty easy once you get over the alignment procedure and the wierd motion!

I got it basically figured out. I set my RA axis north and a rough altitude angle, I tracked the moon pretty decently. Then i tried it on saturn and it kept saturn in the frame of the camera for over 5 minutes, could have went longer, but thats as long as i recorded.

Archived