Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my pier mount made from bits out of scrap yard

dreamofsirius

Thanks james

The top ring was from milling or engineering firm loads of various ring sizes about 15 tonne to find a match, plate is 3mm tonnes of that,tube sleeve is 4mm steel pipe 100mm wide cut with grinder re sizied to fit over 4 inch pier stand and rewelded.

Drilled sleeve welded some nuts and fitted bolts m10 for clamping to pier stand centre and drill baseplate weld m10 nut m10 large thread fits the mount.

Tried it last night fits lovely took it back to work to have it all seam welded,even though its a industrial welder spot welding isn't strong enough it cracked.

Ps sorry for slow posting been doing 11 hour at work then diging in garden.

Jeff

Upto now this is how it looked last night

I would love to build a pier in the back yard, i have all the equiptment to do it but " she who must be obeyed " would kill me.

Alan

Really sorry to hear that, my wife is keen on Astronomy & knows where everything is in the night sky better than me, it was her suggestion that lead us to start building an obsy.

With the cost of astro equipment, I guess it's not too strange to see people building things out of junk. :p

Quite agree, and the price of building an obsy or purchasing a ready made pier then eats into the astro equipment budget.

It's a bit chicken & egg or you pays your money & takes your chances.

I could buy some special astro gear for the price of the obsy, but would I want to be assembling & dismantling it?

The way to get around that is wait while her favourite programs come on tv sit down and talk alway through them ocasionally slip the word pier and mount in how easy it would be to view :-)

^^^^

this

...i´m working on that :grin:

If you make a pier mount for garden you can remove your mount through day and make a plant holder or bird table for day that way every one is happy :-)

Jeff

Great idea, she is into plants I might put that to her.

Alan

The first picture mount complete tried it the mount sleeve cracked again, so i took it back to work turned out to be a special material so it couldn't be welded correctly,plus the sleeve was too short,with full set-up the welding on nuts cracked too,so tried a different material.

The sleeve for control unit and hand control work well.

I will try this weekend again see if it holds up.

So if you fancy making you're own check the material is suitable.

The first picture mount complete tried it the mount sleeve cracked again, so i took it back to work turned out to be a special material so it couldn't be welded correctly,plus the sleeve was too short,with full set-up the welding on nuts cracked too,so tried a different material.

The sleeve for control unit and hand control work well.

I will try this weekend again see if it holds up.

So if you fancy making you're own check the material is suitable.

You could consider preheating the metals to 200-300C with a tiger torch prior to welding. Thermal gradients can cause these types of issues - but.. so can metal chemistry. It's worth a shot in the future anyways...

thanks for info it was a rush job,had to do it while on break.

You could consider preheating the metals to 200-300C with a tiger torch prior to welding. Thermal gradients can cause these types of issues - but.. so can metal chemistry. It's worth a shot in the future anyways...

Archived