Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Titan

Hi

I had fantastic views of Saturn last Thursday night and last night was pretty good too. Just above the planet and slightly to the right I saw a very faint dot. Was this Titan? I couldn't see anything else that looked like moons. I have a Skywatcher Explorer 200p and was using my best eyepiece the 8mm BST which gave me x125. What other of Saturn's moons can I realistically expect to see with my set up? Cheers Phil.

:-)

Try the free Stellarium to see (and forward or reverse to date/time of observation) where each moon should be. Keep in mind that depending on the set up of the telescope simulation that the image may be flipped.

Titan is easily visible with a small scope. With a larger scopes more moons become viewable - 6 should be possible with an 8 inch scope, with some patience and good seeing conditions. The link that Ed gives above is a good one for telling which moon is which. Stellarium is also useful for finding Iapetus which is generally further away from the planet than the area covered by the Sky & Telescope applet. Stellarium is also useful for identifying any nearby background stars which can be mistaken for moons !

You will be able to see Tethys, Dione, and Rhea, as these are all in the mag 10 to 11 range. Titan is a magnitude brighter, at 9, so really easy. Enceledus is mag 12, but often close to the planet so hard to see. Mimas is even closer and Mag 13; much tougher, especially now that Saturn's rings are opening up and there's more glare. Lastly, Hyperion lies very far and is almost mag 15. So pretty tough: you'd need dark skies, high power, and a very good chart. So locating Hyperion is much like finding Pluto.

This link http://www.skyandtel...s/3308506.html# will show the positions of Saturn's brightest moons.

From that link, click on 'javascript utility' enter the time & date of your observation. Don't forget to click what type of telescope.

It's possible for background stars to confuse you....

HTH, Ed.

Nice little utility, thanks!

Cheers

Archived