Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attaching DSLR to scope

Hi.

I know this might sound like such a silly question, but how do I attach my Dslr to my scope so that it uses the eyepieces I've got?

I can't see how to add the slr to the eyepiece I have.

I've just got a 3-6mm Nagler, so would love to take some pictures of the moon how it looks through that eyepiece.

Any help would be great! Hopefully I will take it out tonight and post my results if I manage to sort it!

Thanks for the reply. I've got one of those t-rings.

When I have attached the camera to the scope, the image doesn't actually seem any larger on the camera than looking at the object using the eye.

How do people manage to image objects close up then? I assumed it was using the eyepiece on the scope?

I don't need a lens on the camera do I?

No, you can attach the DSLR directly to the Focus tube with the T-Ring and a Adapter, you can with the right type of EP attach the DSLR directly to the EP, they use a 43mm to 42mm converter ring, or if you were to use a Coma Corrector (Baader Type i know works) there's no need for the converter ring...Image quality will suffer a bit much depends on you quality of the Mount ect.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Using directly DSLR-> T ring-> Tadaptor-> (barlow)-> telescope is most common. If you use your canon DSLR, then you can use Movrec (http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/) or BYEOS on a laptop to capture the movie and with a kind of digital zoom function in those softwares (I use Movrec with its *5 zoom function and makes sizeable picture (860*570) (-I have a 1100d but the Canon Utility does not allow on this one to capture AVI with the zoom function-). Also Movrec capture directly in AVI suitable for Registax, no need to convert like when using EOS Utility. Then you can also use drizzling function in registax to enlarge the picture with minimum loss of quality (it can even "look" better sometimes)

as example: below is Jupiter using *5 digital zoom in movrec (without cropping the picture, so this is the size of you see on screen), using canon EOS 1100d + 2,5 barlow on a skymax 102 (F13, so with the barlow approx F32).

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/17138-jupiter/

Prime focus...........like the other members have said, use just the scope and camera body attached, usually a t-ring/adapter and a t piece 1.25", obviously use the scope to focus. pick larger objects to fill the frame, im guessing you want this for planetary shots, hense the reason you may be finding the image scale a bit small. The moon will show some reasonable scale as a good starting point though..........

Archived