Adapter for R.A motors - 6v D.C

Hi all

After using my motors for a few days and staring to notice a small amount of slowing lol is it possible to get a mains adapter for them and if so does anyone know what kind? i found a 6v D.C adapter that charges a torch in the house its rated at 100ma but.............when i plugged it in the little green light wasent quite green anymore lol it kinda flickered green and amber so i unplugged it....quickly lol

this is the motor i have http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-ra-motor-drive-for-eq2.html

Peter's suggestion is a good choice as it caters for various DC Output Voltages.

Maplin also do a 6 volt fixed output mains Adapter. Model L66BQ.

--------------

Please don't be rude, and impatient. Your request was posted on Saturday, and the forum tends to be quieter over a weekend.

Questions always get answers, the fact 30 people viewed your request, doesn't mean they could give you an answer.

Ron.

thank you Cornelius Varley

Peter's suggestion is a good choice as it caters for various DC Output Voltages.

Maplin also do a 6 volt fixed output mains Adapter. Model L66BQ.

--------------

Please don't be rude, and impatient. Your request was posted on Saturday, and the forum tends to be quieter over a weekend.

Questions always get answers, the fact 30 people viewed your request, doesn't mean they could give you an answer.

Ron.

then i apoligise ron

I found an old wall-wart transformer that produced 6V output and had a suitable centre-positive power connector plug and just used that. It works fine. You do need it to be able to provide enough current though. If I were buying one I'd go for a 6V regulated supply capable of delivering at least 1A. Obviously you need a suitable connector too. They're generally centre positive (you can check easily enough with a multimeter) and then you just need a power connector of the right size. If you get one with interchangeable connectors then I'd find the right one and tape it together so it won't pull apart easily.

James

hi

thanks for this post,

I also have the same mount and motor and have been looking for a suitable power source,

as im getting a bit of a reputation in my local pound shop as a battery hoarder :grin:

the skywatcher/celestron power tank has 6v 9v and 12v outputs

but to be honest and being cheap I didn’t want to spend that much, :grin:

I also had a 6v charger lead but pulled it out PDQ as I was unsure. :eek:

So thanks chaps

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It works for me - I'm using the same power supply from Maplins with my SkyWatcher EQ2 variable speed motor:

http://astrobeano.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/mains-power-for-multi-speed-eq2-motor.html

Make sure you set the slider to 6V and pick the best fitting barrel adapter - and attach it the right way round (you want the centre positive, collar negative/ground).

I would agree with this post. 600ma is not enough umph to get it going :)

I would have thought that 0.6A would be enough. I have an RA drive on a Bresser Mon1 (their EQ3-2 equivalent) and that's quite happy with a 0.5A supply. Having said that I don't like using the wallwart outside and running 6V over a long distance loses too much power so I'm looking to get a big 6V rechargable.

Archived