Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best OTAs for Saturn / Moon watching on my mounts?

I have NEQ6 and Omni CG-4 mounts, just wondering what people think would be the best OTA and eyepiece combinations for planetary views on either of these mounts, assuming I'm standing out in the countryside away from buildings and lights. I already have a 150P for the CG-4 and an 8SE for the NEQ6, but I could probably do better.

Looks good! Would my SCT Baader Steeltrack focuser be suitable for it, or not required?

With such a long focal length I presume my 5mm Celestron eyepiece wouldn't be very usable, what typical eyepiece is going to give the best views?

I presume dew is a major factor, so all my 8SE dew kit will be required, would my 8" heater tape fit? Probably would have to buy a 7" dew shield though, 8" would surely just fall off.

I had fantastic views last night with the 20mm and 9mm that come with the scope .

As for the focuser , you'd just need to check that it doesn't foul the focuser knob , I've fitted the Revelation SCT to mine , works like a dream for just over £100 . . .

Looking at the CG-4 and Mak180 specs, the CG-4 should be able to handle it. Hmmmm! Could be near the limit but could it work for visual (without an extension tube or additional weights)?

the native f15 is worth it, I was very pleased with the one I had.

Interesting, I've always taken the MAK's "Superiority" over the same size CAT with a pinch of salt noting I only had a chance to test between a ETX90, C5, ETX125 and C8. C8 came out on top, followed by the ETX125, very very closely followed by the C5 and the ETX90 came in last noting for its tiny size it did have lovely crisp images.

I 0wn an Intes Micr0 MN76 just awes0me 0n planetry, inky black c0ntrast and as a Mak-New it has a better wide field.

It will easily handle 250X.

I use an NEQ6.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

As others have noted here and elsewhere, it sounds like the Mak 180 (and presumably others that are of the same design) is a more specialized scope more suited to planetary and lunar, a C8 more a jack of all trades.

I don't think a 180 mm Mak is going to do significantly better than your C8 to make it worthwhile to buy it. Also note that cooling a 180 mm Mak can take quite a while, and it basically needs to be stored relatively cool. See the note on FLOs homepage.

To get significant better experience for the solar system objects you probably need to step up in aperture, like a C9.25, C11 or a 10"/12" dob. However most of the time you will be limited be seeing, even with your C8. Seeing is really the limiting factor most of the time. To beat the seeing you really need to spend more time at the eyepiece really. Both in order to practice, but also to catch the nights / moments with excellent seeing. Binoviewing usually make for a more relaxed seeing experience, so that could be an option. More time at the eyepiece -> good.

Also make sure that the collimation of your C8 is spot on and that it is properly cooled. This is free and quite important to get good results.

Eyepieces tend to be rather personal thing. Orthos and Plossls provide very sharp and scatter free, but have limited ergonomics. I have the Pentax XW 7 and 10, which are very good and have excellent ergonomics, which means I can relax when observing and hence spend more time observing.

I haven't got it yet but I have ordered a SW Mak 180 pro and I believe it will be excellent. My reason for getting it is because I believe it can do battle with a 6 inch APO and does not cost 5-6,000 pounds.

I hope I am not disappointed.

Alan.

If you are expecting anything other than a very minor change over your C8 then I'd think again. Even going up to a C14 or the best 6 inch Apo in the world won't give a radical change. Beyond a C8 on a good night you can only refine, not transform. It's not like deep sky where aperture really does bring in new objects and new details.

We have a 10 inch SCT and a premium 140 refractor. Both give good views of the planets. I usually prefer the refractor but I don't think that there is really much difference in what can be seen, it's more 'the way that you see it.'

I'd expect to get great planetary views from a cooled down 180 Mak but, as above, not in a way that was game-changing. In optics small gains are very expensive...

Olly

I haven't got it yet but I have ordered a SW Mak 180 pro and I believe it will be excellent. My reason for getting it is because I believe it can do battle with a 6 inch APO and does not cost 5-6,000 pounds.

I hope I am not disappointed.

Alan.

you wont be. I owned a fab 102mm VIXEN ED refractor for 10 great years. My Mak 180 stuffed it , and it has whuppec a Williams Optics 127mm APO on Saturn.

Check out my dslr images in York AS forum (lunar and planetary section.). Www.yorkastro.org.uk

Bests

Dave.

you wont be. I owned a fab 102mm VIXEN ED refractor for 10 great years. My Mak 180 stuffed it , and it has whuppec a Williams Optics 127mm APO on Saturn.

Check out my dslr images in York AS forum (lunar and planetary section.). Www.yorkastro.org.uk

Bests

Dave.

see astrobaby.com ...her Mak 180 review.

Archived