Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking of upgrading my scope

After looking through various larger aperture scopes at SGL8, I'm thinking about moving up a couple of inches in aperture from my trusty CPC800. I'm set on an EQ mounted SCT, because a relatively compact tube is a must for me, but I need something that I'll be able to set up and take down on my own. I took a look at the C11 tube with the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT mount, but the C11 is a monster and I don't think I'll be able to handle it on my own. The Meade LX200 ACF 10" seems a fair bit lighter whilst still delivering a very useful extra 2" of aperture over the CPC800, so that's my current favourite option.

Anyone have any other recommendations or experience with using an LX200 10"? I'm mainly a visual observer, but want to try my hand at some imaging at some stage, and I tend to do a mixture of planetary and deep sky observing. My dream view is a bright, contrasty M13, with plenty of stars resolved, to give you a clue as to what I'm looking for.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your views!

have you considered the 9.25, doesnt sound much bigger than the 8" but it is, and its considered equal to the 11" in everry way and is said to be celestrons jewel, sure otheres will jump in soon

I am in a similar predicament, although for now I have postponed the choice of scope to follow. I think the C9.25 is great for planets, but on DSOs the C11 has it beaten. I am also not sure if I would find it enough of an upgrade from my C8. The ACF 10" seems a bit expensive to my taste (at least here in the Netherlands, the C11 OTA is some 800 euro cheaper :eek:). The 12" is more tempting, but also expensive, and at a whopping 17.5 kg really heavy. I am also seriously drawn to the OMC300 here:

http://www.teleskop-...xe-Version.html

Quite a bit more expensive than the C11 (even more than the 12" ACF), but with an inch extra aperture, and only 500 g heavier than the C11, it is seriously tempting.

Yes, I had the same thoughts about the 9.25 - a great scope by all accounts but somehow it wouldn't feel like enough of a step up from the 8" - probably sounds daft, but I want to be able to see where all my money went! I'm now going to look at the OMC300, Michael, and if I ever end up buying one I'll be explaining to my wife that the extra cost over the Meade is entirely your fault! :grin: The fact that you're in the Netherlands might offer you a measure of protection!!

Hmmm, 48kg for the planewave does seem a teensy bit too much for me to set up on my own...nice scope, though!

Peter - have you tried putting the C11 onto an EQ mount and taking it off without anyone to help? How did you get on? I'm a 5'10" runner, so upper body strength not particularly good, and am worried that I'd struggle with the C11.

Hi Andy,

I remember you from SGL8, still have very fond memories of your Ethos !! :) :)

I've actually got the 925 at home and it is a fabulous scope, and was a very definite step up from the 6". I also would wonder though whether you'd notice a big enough jump up from your 8" if you went for the 925 ... As for the C11 on an EQ mount, you might want to check out this video on you tube, might put your mind at rest a bit on handling "monster" scopes:

I found the link on an old thread before buying the 925 as I was petrified I wouldn't manage even that by myself. The method he shows in his video is something I use every time setting up now, and I can easily manage the 925 and suspect I could also manage a larger scope now too if I needed to. And I seriously do not have much in the way of upper body strength !!

Hope that helps.

Matsey :)

I'm doing something similar and will sell my Edge HD C8 to upgrade to a CPC. Probably the 1100 deluxe. I had lots of good advice from Cloudy nights with an Edge model being the firm favourite. Weirdly, it was suggested that the Edge 8 HD is a much better imagining option over the 11. As I'm going to be mostly visual will mean I do actually upgrade or else I'd keep my edge 8.

Hello Matsey! How's things?! That's a very reassuring video - unfortunately it's now left me wondering whether I might go all out and get a C14...so I guess you've got your own back for me showing you the Ethos :grin:

i was looking at the Edge versions too, but don't know if they offer a major advantage over the standard models for visual observing, which is what I do mainly - can anyone comment on that?

Mwah ha ha my evil genius plan is a success !! C14 indeed !! :)

Don't know about the Edge myself as I've got the XLT version, but so far at least I've not noticed any issues at all with visual observing. Hopefully someone else will have some direct experience on whether the extra for the Edge is worth it....

When I had a bout of "the fever" last year I ended up with the C11 Edge HD. It's 12kg, so actually weighs less than the Meade 10" (although I think the Meade value includes the fork) and a fair bit less than the top part of your CPC800. The weight is manageable but I did myself an injury bear hugging it on to the mount... until I saw the above infamous video and his C14 antics. The C11 really can be quite manageable especially when using one or more of these (cue m.tweedy ;) ) http://www.ebay.co.u...e-/270977887187

The C14 is a whole other beast, weighing in at over 20kg and needs a seriously hefty mount to hold it - I use an NEQ6 for the C11 which is no lightweight itself, but I fear it wouldn't be enough for a C14 :eek: I'm used to the C11 now, but the C14 makes it look like a grab and go :D

Regarding Edge or not... if you like the wide aFOV eyepieces...Naglers, Ethos or equivalents, you will want the Edge HD to protect you from attack of the coma tails and field curvature. There's no going back once you've been noticed them. But the Edge HD models are a bit of an attack on the wallet in this country :(

Archived