NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

No image using byeos

I've just bought byeos, the serial release cable (i'm using eos350D) & have all the settings correct (although I cant have)& i'm just seeing if it actually works, (i've no scope attatched ) so its just plugged into the laptop. I set it just to take 1 exposure & press capture, it goes through the motions of the countdown, gives an estimated finish time, says the session has started THEN even with my test exposure time set at 1 second (ive tried other lengths of time) it takes around 5mins, goes way past the est finish time, finally makes a 'beep' noise (no click from the camera btw) & states that the imaging session is completed. i go to the image folder to find zero,zilch,a big fat nothing!! I've got it set to save in the image folder, although I dont know why I expect to find one when the camera itself hasnt even made a sound.

I cant understand what could be wrong as everything 'says' its working when it most obviously isnt. Please dont say it could be the camera otherwise i'll have no choice but to take it outside & run it over!!

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have recently moved to ccd, so not used BYEOS much recently. My 1000D hung a few times, and was a fault specifically with that camera. Has it connected to the camera using the correct COM port? When you press start, is there a loud system error sound?

Does the 350D need a usb serial cable as well as usb? I also suggest going to the BYE wiki group on yahoo, very helpful over there and may be able to nail this for you :huh:

Thanks for the reply, i've checked the com ports correct & theres no error sound when I click 'capture', I also have the correct cables, it just goes through the motions of taking an image but with no result & no noise from the camera, I'll do as you suggest & try the group.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Haven't got a lot of knowledge on this subject, nut had a scan around online, to see if I could find anything to help you.

Have you installed all the drivers and eos utility for the camera on your comp?

did you click on the right option when BYE opens?

Sorry this probs wont help. Il have another look around to see if anyone else has/is having similar issues.

Jez

Hi Steve,

I run BYE on a vista laptop without issues, One thing that may be worth checking. When you plug in your camera, does autorun start the eos utility? If so it might be worth making sure it's turned off as it can conflict with BYE. Other than this I can't really help I'm afraid. Hope you get it sorted soon, theres nothing worse than computers that won't play fair :(.

Hi Steve,

I run BYE on a vista laptop without issues, One thing that may be worth checking. When you plug in your camera, does autorun start the eos utility? If so it might be worth making sure it's turned off as it can conflict with BYE. Other than this I can't really help I'm afraid. Hope you get it sorted soon, theres nothing worse than computers that won't play fair :(.

I'll check that thanks, autorun does come up & I usually just ignore it, i'll close it down & see what happens

Thanks for the advice :smiley:

I've a feeling it may be something to do with the drivers i have or havnt installed (Thanks MoonMonkey) I bought the camera second hand & it came with no disk, going to Canons website is pointless as it asks for a disk, When my eos utilities box comes on screen theres nothing actually in it. Does anyone know where I can get the full set of drivers for it (Canon eos350D on windows vista 32bit) all the others sites I try end up with countless adverts & Kack. :rolleyes:

Steve

PS although if this is the case how come BYEOS recognises that the camera is connected or is that just 'by default'? :confused:

Hi Steve

As you have no disk, and nothing installed other than BYE, I am willing to bet big bucks this is causing the problem.

However, it does seem than canon have no download for eos utility, only updates. It stupid because basically the update is a complete working version of eos utility, but it will only work if your computer tells it, that you have eos utility already installed. This is a real nightmare for people who have brought 2nd hand and have no disk. Canon will tell you to buy a new copy of it.

I have a few ideas, mate, dont worry.

Il PM you

ATB

Jez

p.s computers are very fickle things, such is software. even though BYE may know a camera is connected, it wont have the ability to properly communicate unless all the correct drivers are installed. The problem when things like this occur, is it would appear everything is installed correctly and lead the user down different/wrong routes as to what the problem could be.

Hi Steve

As you have no disk, and nothing installed other than BYE, I am willing to bet big bucks this is causing the problem.

However, it does seem than canon have no download for eos utility, only updates. It stupid because basically the update is a complete working version of eos utility, but it will only work if your computer tells it, that you have eos utility already installed. This is a real nightmare for people who have brought 2nd hand and have no disk. Canon will tell you to buy a new copy of it.

I have a few ideas, mate, dont worry.

Il PM you

ATB

Jez

p.s computers are very fickle things, such is software. even though BYE may know a camera is connected, it wont have the ability to properly communicate unless all the correct drivers are installed. The problem when things like this occur, is it would appear everything is installed correctly and lead the user down different/wrong routes as to what the problem could be.

Case of Canon wanting MORE money even though the camera was itself sold with a disk in the first place :mad: Cheers Jez, I've PM'd you.

Hi Steve,

As promised, I made a short Video of my setup on Bye..

You may know all this , if so , just ignore the Video...

The issues that I had in the beginning, the Canon software does not agree with Bye running at the same time....

Also check Com Ports, & Drivers...If you need any Canon Software, let me Know..

Hope this link Works Folks...If not Sorry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmoao6vvtmvlk5h/Canon.MOV

Cu John...

Hi John, my laptop (in device manager) is saying I have the drivers but obviously that cant be the case. I'm going to have to try & source a disk from somewhere (not sure where though :mad: ) Very irritating. Thanks for the video though.

Steve

I had some problems with BYE initially, specifically with drivers. I use Windows 8 64bit. At first I could only get EOS utility to communicate with my camera with the standard USB cable (I had bought a cheap 5m cable as well to use for convenience) I re-installed standard drivers several times, and the shorter standard cable would work but not the other cable I really wanted to use, somehow updating EOS utility to the latest version from canon also fixed my issue with the non-standard cable, maybe this will help you, but of course you need to get your hands on EOS utility first somehow, if they only provide a update file. I never tried BYE until I had fixed these issues btw.

But something strange happened on my last image session with BYE as well, my image sessions froze and sometimes it continued taking images despite BYE clearly being frozen, or it just stopped imaging, I hadn't had any such issues on other sessions. Because I suspected that something was wrong with my PC communcating with the camera, I also tried turning my camera OFF and then pressed connect in BYE and it CONNECTED with my camera that was clearly off and unpowered, very strange behaviour! So I wouldn't trust it entirely being connected, if no image f.x. pops up on your preview when taking shots, it clearly doesn't work properly.

Sometimes I have to activate live view, on my camera, to 'wake up' the camera and get it to connect to the PC and communicate with whatever image program I want to use, so make sure your camera isn't 'sleeping', there is a option in the menus of the camera where you can put that option off. Of course having live view on consumes a lot of power, so maybe only use it once to wake up the camera and then put it on the standard settings menu. I use AC power for my camera so I don't worry about power consumption.

I want to point out though that I personally think BYE is a great program and it isn't certain that these issues are related to the program itself, it could just be my computer misbehaving. I certainly I want to keep on using it, and I've only ever had these issues on one image session.

Thanks for the reply Amra, I've a feeling its down to not been able to get hold of an original utilities download on-line (there only seems to be updates which for me is pointless as Ive nothing to update :mad: ) Theres are a couple of people trying to help me out so fingers crossed. Btw my 350D doesnt have the liveview function but your info is good to know as if it is the camera itself at fault i'll have to bin it & get another (with liveview) Thats a very last option though.

Steve

Arma,

O the BYE website, is system requirements, there is no mention of BYE working on windows 8. This maybe why you are having problems

Here's the page: http://www.backyardeos.com/product_backyardeos.aspx

I maybe completely wrong, but it might be worth dropping them an email to see if everything runs OK on win8. Just a thought.

Jez

Thanks for the reply Amra, I've a feeling its down to not been able to get hold of an original utilities download on-line (there only seems to be updates which for me is pointless as Ive nothing to update :mad: ) Theres are a couple of people trying to help me out so fingers crossed. Btw my 350D doesnt have the liveview function but your info is good to know as if it is the camera itself at fault i'll have to bin it & get another (with liveview) Thats a very last option though.

Steve

TBH Steve, I don't think I have every used, or have needed to use the live view. I switch of the display on the camera whenever I use it as it eats the battery.

TBH Steve, I don't think I have every used, or have needed to use the live view. I switch of the display on the camera whenever I use it as it eats the battery.

If I ever get up & running i'll just use short exposures & bahtinov mask for focus so it wont be that much of a prob.

Archived