Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun today 6-4-13 (Ha)

AstroGnome

Clear skies so thought I'd have another crack now I've got the QHY5 able to focus (at last) in the PST.

I've been quite aggressive with processing this to pull out the detail, not to everyones taste but I like it....

post-7999-0-06992300-1365254027_thumb.jp

hi nice pic how did you get it to focus because dammed if i can with my qhy5 or is that a mosaic

No mosaic, it a full frame.

Remove the 1.25" nose piece from the T2 thread on the QHY5 and screw a 1.25" barrel (from the end of a barlow for instance) directly into the 1.25" thread that sits in the body of the camera (directly in front of the chip). The camera will now sit much deeper into the PST eyepiece holder giving you an extra few mm of inward travel. Hey presto, it focuses. (see pics)

I tried for ages to get it to focus before realising I could do this.

post-7999-0-66012900-1365256473_thumb.jp

post-7999-0-50574900-1365256490_thumb.jp

i will try that thanks i was thinking of machining down the eye piece holder on the pst by about 10 mm i will give this ago first, in the second pic is that a filter of some sorts

mark

i will try that thanks i was thinking of machining down the eye piece holder on the pst by about 10 mm i will give this ago first, in the second pic is that a filter of some sorts

mark

Yes, just an IR filter that lives on the QHY5 for planetary stuff. (not needed for the PST of course)

Well done Mark, that is an excellent shot. I wouldn't say you have over done the Wavelets, about right I think. Your PST is really working well to get the full disc in one shot and it is mostly on-band across the disc, indicating that the sweetspot on your PST is quite large.

Robin

Archived